· ⋄ 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏 ⋄ · ﴾𝑳𝒐𝒏𝒈𝒊𝒏𝒈﴿ ·

The young women's gaze was fixed on the view beside her. Her marvel was unwavering even as her eyes began to grow sore from how long the golden luster of the setting sun danced in her irises. Regardless, she basks in the warm auras that blessed her skin, cherishing the sensation of lingering tension thawing away.

She lets out a weary sigh as she leans against the carriage window. She fantasized about frolicking boundlessly through the lush fields that blurred past her dull reflection. A ping of jealousy blossoms in the royal's chest as she captures the scene of two children fulfilling that fantasy.

How she envied their careless nature and folly.

Slowly but surely the irritating voices she had been drowning out begin to seep through her trance. Eventually, the bitter scolds of her infuriated parents managed to tear through her daydream.

"What on earth were you thinking?!" The girl's mother berated.

The royal doesn't meet her eye, in an attempt to gaze else where she accidentally locks eyes with her father who bit back his outrage by clenching his jaw.

"Days of relentless searching... nights of tireless planning... all for what!? So you can go and publicly stain our family name, by rolling around like a pig in the muck?!" The Queen scorned, glaring at her daughter's filthy ball gown.

The princess crosses her arms and legs in a silent fit, trying her best to remain unfazed by her mother's fury.

"These childish sabotages must end, Esmeralda... We all make sacrifices for the great or good of our kingdom. It's high time that you fulfill yours." The King spoke, his voice was heavy and mighty, as opposed to his tone, which was merciful despite the immense humiliation that was brought upon him.

At last, his words carve through his daughter's stubborn pride.

The princess's pout grows foggy with rue as she ruminates her actions.

Her mother chimes in once more.

"You have but two choices. Wed the next suture who will accept our accord or become a husbandless heir! Our dynasty will crumble! We might as well be cast into the gutter amongst those f-filthy beggars..." The mere mention of the Queen's people twisted her grimace in repulse.

Her words rekindle the inferno within the unruly princess.

"Well, it doesn't feel like I have much of a choice─"

"YOU DON'T!"

The higher monarchs lashed back, swiftly putting an end to their daughter's relentless revolt.

Esmeralda kept quiet. Her silenced protests burn and clot in her throat. Her head hung low, slightly remorseful, but mostly out of pure frustration of having no say over this long-running plight.

Silence rained over the family for a few more moments. After some time, the tension began to decay.

Sorrow had since snuffed out the princess's anger. She slumps even further back into her seat as nightfall begins to cast a shadow over the land.

"Now don't look so glum, my prized jewel." The Queen's hiss had now mellowed into a soothing coo. Calm, at last, she fans any lingering flush from her cheeks. "Soon, you will see that this is not only what is best for you, but for our kingdom." She assures.