· ⋄ 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟕 ⋄ · ﴾𝑺𝒘𝒂𝒚 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉 𝒎𝒆﴿ ·

Autumn winds blew crisper as twilight slowly crept over the horizon.

Emerging from the vast evergreen, the jovial symphony of celebration grew louder as the travelers drew closer to the vibrant village hidden within the mountains. The royal and the thief drew closer to a luminous aura beaming within the peaks, and as the clouds slowly began to fade from view, their destination was revealed. It was a dazzling sight.

A handful of imperial estates littered the lush cliffside, while the real beauty beamed below them.

The town was teeming with diverse life, creatures, and mumrik alike prepared for the festival with contagious excitement. Some decorated their gloomy cottages with colorful lanterns and glittering lights.

Walking through the crowd, the princess caught sight of some beasts dancing whilst others tended to their shops. She watched with slight envy as merchants sent happy customers away with mouth-watering food and various novelties.

The wonder twinkling in Esmeralda's eyes was swiftly extinguished as a hand softly grasps her shoulder. The familiar touch snaps her out of her trance.

"Let's try not to attract attention to ourselves," Snufkin warns, his accent serious as he eyes a pack of guards dispersing amongst the crowd.

"Right." The royal agrees. She follows the vagabond as he surfs through the vast sea of villagers.

Despite her eager pace, the princess struggled amongst the sea of denizens that pushed her back. Slowly but surely, she drifts away from the outlaw.

Feeling her presence gradually leave his side, Snufkin turns around.

"Stay close to m─" His words cease as the princess grabs his hand.

Meeting her awkward expression, the mumrik ponders her for a moment, his exposed grimace a mix of emotions. Esmeralda smiles apologetically. The criminal doesn't protest as he catches sight of a guard glaring in their direction. His hold tightens as he carries her off.

The paranoid vagabond skulks around the city without a hint of stopping to enjoy the festival. Esmeralda remains tight-lipped as she passes countless fun activities. She resists the urge to break away from the thief just to embark on the jamboree's many attractions.

Neglecting the countless stands of fresh meat, rolls, and other delectables, Esmeralda swallows the savory aromas and forcefully carries on.

Finally, Snufkin halts in a partially empty area where he surveyed his surroundings. The royal hungrily eyes the delightful array of sweets and cakes in a shop afar from them.

"Those smell heavenly..." She remarks, clutching the empty void that was her core. Her bittersweet tone captures the thief's attention.

"Are you hungry?" He questions, his worry shifting onto her.

"Oh, no. I'm─" A longing growl in the royal's belly consumes her white lie. An embarrassed blush tinges her cheeks. "Well... maybe a just a little famished... I may have skipped breakfast this morning." She laughs.

"It's never good to skip such an important meal." He advises.

The princess shrugs. "I didn't want to be late for our outing. Besides, I've survived far worse than a neglected breakfast. I'll be fine."

Snufkin hums in disapproval.

He looks to the dessert stand the royal ogled. Catching the shopkeeper dozing off in her shop, he recognized her almost instantly.