· ⋄ 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟎 ⋄ · ﴾𝑹𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒍𝒂𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏𝒔﴿ ·

The boat softly kisses the riverbank.

Snufkin wastes no time in leaping off the barge and dragging it closer to shore. Watching Esmeralda struggle to plant a heel over the rim, he takes her hand and helps her back on her heels.

The royal brushes muck off her skirt as she spins to face their savior. "Thank you for letting us aboard, ma'am." She expresses.

"Yes, and thank you for not turning us over. Your treason is greatly appreciated." The crook's joke tickles the old woman.

"Ah, a little mutiny never hurt anyone. Besides, it's been a pleasure meeting you in the flesh! And even more thrilling to see you in action! Why I never thought I'd ever meet the nefarious Robin Hood!" She chuckles with delight.

The outlaw simply nods, shrugging off her praise.

"Well, I'll be off then! You two take care of yourselves now you hear!" The old woman warns with a wag of her finger. Grabbing hold of her oars, she motioned to take off when her face suddenly lit up with a final thought. "Oh! And a word of advice, a nice picnic on the beach is far more romantic than running around a quaint village and teasing officers. I'm sure your ladylove must be tired of your rogue escapades."

Esmeralda chimes in before Snufkin could correct the woman.

"Eh, I don't mind the peril. Someone has to talk the officers out of tossing him in prison." She banters, giggling softly at the wide-eyed look the crook gave her.

The old woman cracks up. "Oh, ho, ho! She's a keeper! You hold onto this one you hear!"

The mumrik stammers over his flustered tone."I─"

The rowdy senior thrusts herself off the riverbank; the current quickly carries her off. "Don't bother speaking up! I'm drifting off now and I am too lazy to turn back!" She exclaimed, paddling further away from the travelers. They both watch her slowly disappear down the brook.

"She was... Interesting." The girl teases.

"That's one way to put it." The thief retorts.

Looking over his shoulder, his gaze was fixed on the tree line. Concern flickers across the mumrik's grimace as his night eyes began to reveal the hidden reaches of the vast timberland; indicating only one thing, nightfall was on the horizon.

Snufkin mutters under his breath. "Let's keep moving."

The sapphire shadow of dusk began to loom over the land. The pair scramble to tear down the camp, precious minutes slip through their fingers like sand through an hourglass. Snufkin crams his essentials into his rucksack and slings it over his shoulders. Dusting off his green hat, the vagabond then tops his wild nest of hair before peering up at the skyline.

He keeps a firm grasp on his composer as he watches the cool colors of twilight quickly bleed into the sunset's warm auras.

Only about an hour of daylight remained.

"Oh, we should've left earlier! The castle is miles away! This is all my fault! I'm so sorry, Snufkin!" Esmeralda frets, she could only imagine the aftermath that would ensue if she was not found in her tower.

The thief's gaze falls to the ground, he grabs a fist full of his hair. He sighs before wiping his hand over his thoughtful expression.