· ⋄ 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟖 ⋄ · ﴾𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒔𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝑺𝒖𝒏﴿ ·

Snufkin's lazy hold on Esmeralda's hand ensures she does not wander from his side as he steers her through the dusk.

The adventurers trekked the vast burrows of a frigid and arid cave; at some points during their treacherous voyage, it felt as if the mountain they wandered through would come crumbling down upon them at any moment.

The girl's claustrophobia does not wane as they plunged deeper into the endless chasm.

"A-are you sure we aren't lost? Because it kind of feels like you're dragging me straight to my doom." The royal mutters, her confidence in the mumrik beginning to waver.

She bumps into him as he stops suddenly. Glancing at the princess from over his shoulder, the vagabond's warm smile was concealed in darkness.

Fervor swells in the princess's chest as she feels him give her hand a soft squeeze, whether it was intentional or not, she'd never know.

"We're alright. Believe me, I won't allow anything to happen to you." He reassures, his accent calm and easing.

With a deep breath, the royal's faith in his is restored almost instantly. Though she immediately jumps as his sharp gasp ripples throughout the cave.

"What!? What is it?!" She squeals, clinging to him for dear life.

She feels the rumble of his tame laughter as he gently unravels her crushing embrace from around his torso.

"We are here. The dragon's den is just up ahead." The outlaw declares, his determined gaze lingering on the shrouded opening in the distance.

The crook brushes the heavy vines aside, he thought of allowing Esmeralda to enter first but refused to risk any peril upon her.

Stepping further into the den, the two were met with more infinite darkness. The mumrik's night eyes were rendered useless as the cave was far too vast to scour every foggy detail, and so, he was deserted in the desolate abyss alongside Esmeralda.

Somehow, the atmosphere in the burrow felt denser than the rest of the cave. It was unsettlingly quiet, all for their footsteps that cascaded through the den.

The royal practically bled distress, Snufkin could sense it. She feels his comforting presence stray away from her as he shuffles about the burrow. Rustling, snapping, and more commotion erupt before her until the clamor of rocks ensues.

Suddenly, light sparks in the man's hands. A small blaze rages in the darkness as he waves a torch around them.

The thief extends the flame to the royal, hoping it would grant her some solace. She takes the torch, her mixed expression made it unclear to tell if she was pleased or upset to behold the dull husk of what was supposed to be a dragon's lair.

"Are you sure dragons haven't gone extinct? Because this den is as lively as a funeral." The royal attempts to banter, though it fails to ease her nerves and growing disappointment.

The nomad doesn't answer, as he was far too busy trying to compose himself and his thoughts. 'It's a lot emptier than I remember... It has to be here. It was a long walk, then two right turns and a left turn... or was it two right turns and... one left?...' He ponders, hoping he didn't take the wrong route and inevitably lead him and the woman to their tombs.