sixteen

hey guys!!! reminder im posting TWO chapters right now! so don't forget to read the epilogue! 

Jungkook let out a near childish whine as the persistent hands shook him awake. He reached out to bat them away, desperately wanting to enjoy his last couple hours of sleep. It was Christmas which meant no classes, no gym and no waking up early. His hand was caught mid air and he lifted his head sleepily, cracking his eyes open to see an offended looking Taehyung.

"Why are you awake?" He mumbled out, throat scratchy and voice deep with sleep.

Taehyung excitedly leaped onto the bed, ignoring the loud groan of protest Jungkook expressed as he curled around his younger friend, shaking him frantically. "It's Christmas, Kookie!"

Christmas was Taehyung's favorite holiday. Not only did it start the countdown to his birthday, but he loved to gush about the fond holiday memories he shared with his family growing up. Jungkook really wanted to say that he hadn't been raised christian, and therefore didn't celebrate the holiday, so he should still be asleep. But this was the first year Taehyung was spending the holiday and his birthday away from his family, for his grandmother wasn't around anymore and his parents were choosing to have a couples getaway. He had insisted to his parents that it was okay, but Jungkook knew how much his family meant to him.

Which is why he plastered on a fake smile and grabbed Taehyung by the neck, pulling him into a wrestling match until they both fell to the floor panting.

"We have the whole day until Seokjin's party. What would you like to do with your Christmas, Tae?" He teased and yelped when he was met with an elbow to the ribs.

"That's hyung to you," Taehyung replied with no bite before he sat up and jumped to his feet, dashing down the hall. Jungkook didn't bother chasing after, knowing if he waited long enough that his friend would come back.

As if turned out, he hadn't needed to wait long at all before Taehyung came back, sitting down on the floor by Jungkook's head. In his hand was a large, wrapped rectangle. Immediately he recognized it as a canvas, already grinning when Taehyung handed it to him.

"You didn't have to get me a gift, you know I don't celebrate Christmas," he said shyly and his roommate rolled his brown, puppylike eyes.

"Oh stop it, that's my favorite part of the holiday. It's nothing special, I swear."

Jungkook wanted to disagree, to say that any gift was special. But he felt shy doing so. He struggled accepting gifts, his family never having the money to give them to him anyways. He couldn't help but think of all the better ways for people to spend their money, rather than on him. But he could handle a painting as long as Taehyung made it and hadn't bought it. The man had expensive tastes when it came to art and if he purchased it, Jungkook knew it would cost a hefty amount.

Of course, his best friends knew him well. He relaxed as he tore the edge of the wrapping paper and saw Taehyung's own initials in paint, looking up to give his friend a smile before he went back to uncovering the canvas.

In vibrant colors was an oil painting of Jungkook and Taehyung. He recognized the scene from a picture that was taken of both of them when they first moved in together. Taehyung's mom had crowded them into a corner with their arms wrapped around each other. They hadn't even known each other for a week at that point, but you couldn't tell that by how close they were in the photo. Jungkook took in a sharp breath as his fingertips traced over the delicate lines and looked up at his best friend with watery eyes. Taehyung himself had tears gathering at the corners and the two men instantly reached out for each other, grappling for purchase on each other's clothes as they held one another.