two

Jungkook's hands were steady as ever as he closed his tool kit, setting the fixed laptop inside his bag with the others he'd completed the past couple of days. Tech repairs were an easy way for him to make money in school, especially when the repair shops were charging people far more than he was. The only downside was having to drop them back off to people who were too busy to come get them.

He reached his long arms above his head, stretching far until he heard the satisfied pop of his back. Standing he walked down the hall, scratching his stomach over his T-shirt before he nearly jumped at the sight of Taehyung in the kitchen frosting cookies.

"I didn't know you were home."

"Probably because you've been holed away in your room for the past three days."

His tone was teasing, as it often was but Jungkook still looked down in guilt before he started to pour himself a bowl of cereal. His stomach rumbled at the sound. Shit, did he even eat while he was working?

"Why are you making cookies?" He asked around a mouthful of cheerios.

"Persona is having a fundraiser, I'm about to head out! All the proceeds go to the health clinic and safety and consent classes."

That was actually heartwarming, not many resources for people were available to people even today. Jungkook had never experienced any sort of sex-positive atmosphere until he went to Persona, it was nice that they were doing things for people even outside of their community.

"You know," Taehyung began, his tone gentle in a way that instantly made Jungkook question what he was about to say. "Everyone keeps asking when you're gonna come back."

He highly doubted that was true, he hadn't interacted with any of them much. They seemed friendly enough that they'd probably say yes to Taehyung inviting him to events again, but he doubted they would initiate it. Especially considering they all probably know about his minor freakout from that night now. That night had haunted his memories, consumed every spare thought he had for the past two weeks.

It had been so embarrassing, shame ate him up from his head to his toes at the memory of Jimin seeing him cry. He probably thought Jungkook was so childish to get upset when no one did anything to make him uncomfortable. He had been so caring towards Jungkook that night. He knows that he was just doing his job, but it still filled his cheeks with a flush when he remembered Jimin's hands curled around that glass of water, or his unwavering gaze or the self satisfied smirk when he called Jungkook baby. That was a name he hadn't ever been called before, most people didn't see a guy like him and thought to call him baby. It unleashed a feeling of craving in Jungkook, something he only let himself acknowledge late at night, in the safety of his solitude. He knew he couldn't ever have that again.

"I'm sorry, I'm just busy. Classes have been kicking my ass, and I've had so many things to fix."

The look on Taehyung's face made it clear he didn't believe him, the downward twitch of his lip only highlighting how disappointed he was. Jungkook couldn't help but feel a pang of guilt eat away at his chest, reaching out to grab his car keys from the table.

"I gotta go, I left some takeout for you in the fridge," He said quietly, wanting to end the conversation as quickly as possible.

Jungkook didn't play any music in the car, choosing instead to roll down his window and listen to the cars rolling down the wet pavement. It had been an unusually rainy September this year but he didn't mind it. He always preferred colder weather, he loved any excuse to pack on layers and sit by the window.

He didn't have many fond memories of his childhood, but he could recall the rare ones. He remembered a rainy day when his mother had been stressed when she came home from work. His older brother Junghyun had just turned 14, wanting little to do with his entire family which led to Jungkook being attached to his mom's hip. He could recall her yelling at him for dirtying his clothes in the mud, tears rolling down her face. Jungkook didn't know what else he could do but to say he was just having fun. It had felt silent for so long until she lifted her head, taking his hand and they went out into the rain together.