Only roommates

One day before

"Is it really fine for me to come over, Harry?" Aiden's voice sounded unsure through the phone.

"Yeah, why not?" Harry smiled and walked around his living room. He really should re-decorate, because everything reminded him of Niall. "You literally saved my life and I want to say thank you with proper dinner."

Aiden shifted uncomfortably while looking around his living room. He understood that Harry was grateful and everything, but what if that Niall bloke comes by. He didn't feel comfortable with that.

"What if your boy-, I am sorry, what if Niall comes around? Wouldn't somebody that he really doesn't know confuse him?" Aiden asked.

"Well, it seams that he doesn't really care about coming back here, so don't feel uncomfortable." Harry smiled sadly as his heart hurt, because it really did hurt.

When he ended his call with Aiden he went into his and Niall's room in which he hadn't slept since the accident. The bed was still unmade, just as they left it while running to their cars. He didn't dare to change anything in the room that held their last happy memories.

The only thing that he did was lay down on the side where Niall used to lay and inhale the sweet scent of his love. It was starting to fade and it wounded Harry even more, because he didn't know what he will do when it will be completely gone.

Sad cry's escaped his curled up lips and after hours of crying, Harry fell asleep in the bed that he was afraid to sleep in. His dreams were filled with him and Niall being happy. Just the way that they were supposed to be. It was his fault, if he hadn't made Niall late, he would still be his. He would remember his life. It was Harry's fault, he just knew it.

Present day

Niall felt his heart start beating faster and faster. He couldn't quite wrap his mind around the fact that he felt so hurt by Harry's words, because to him he was stranger, but his heart was feeling completely different.

"I think that I will faint." Niall whispered before his eyes rolled at the back of his head and his limp body fell to the ground. Harry was next to him within second and pulled him into his lap while trying to wake him up.

Aiden quickly took out his phone and called 911 and asked for an ambulance. His body was shaking as he saw Harry's departed attempts of waking Niall up, which were unsuccessful.

"Ni, wake up. Please." Harry's voice shook and his trembling hands caressed Niall's face as he laid there unresponsive. "I can't go through this shit again, Niall. You gotta wake up."

Harry's body started to shake even more as loud cries escaped his mouth and he hugged Niall's limp body closer to his. He inhaled his scent and felt hurt that he didn't smell like his Niall anymore. He smelled like someone else. And in reality he was someone else. He wasn't Harry's Niall anymore.

Two days later

"I tried to warn you. You need to be careful with him." Doctor Green said while checking every bleeping machine that was attached to Niall; while Harry was sunk deep in the chair.

"I know. But, doctor, he left and shouldn't I let him do what he wants? I can't force him to stay with me." Harry said desperately as he watched Niall's chest rise and fall. He hated that he was out cold again, but at least now Harry could sit and hold his hand and kiss his forehead; he was in a way allowed to do that.

"I understand that it is hard, Harry. But he is in there, he has just forgot that. And the more stress there is created on him, the more his subconsciousness will suppress what is hidden somewhere deep inside him." Doctor Green saw how hurt and desperate was Harry, but with his sessions with Niall he had noticed that the man was yearning to be with the green eyed man; he just didn't know it yet.

"A weird suggestion, but Mr Styles, when Niall rests and wakes up, take him on a friendly date, just as friends. Ask him to be your friend right now. It will be hard, but I believe that it will be a step forward positive change." Doctor Green smiled and left the hospital room.

Harry had a lot of thinking right now. He didn't know if he could handle acting like a friend to Niall. But could he loose him completely?

Harry's eyes traveled over Niall's face; his cute button nose and delicate, thin lips. He smiled with the memories of how he first saw Niall in that coffee shop all these years ago. He remembered how taken back he was and how he fell in love within a glance, but for Niall it took many years to even give Harry a chance. So as hurt Harry was now, maybe he just needed to give Niall time to fall in love with him again.

Harry went over to Niall and kissed him on his forehead while squeezing his palm gently, when he wanted to move away; he felt Niall's fingers squeeze his back and a jolt of happiness went through his body as he looked down at Niall's sleeping, but smiling face.

"I will wait for you my dear." Harry said with a shaky voice as he kneeled beside Niall and kissed his knuckles. "Anyways, it's not like I could ever love anybody else, right?"

One week later

"You want us to do what?" Niall had just returned from the hospital to Liam's apartment and he was met with Harry. Niall didn't like to admit it, but he was quite pissed that Harry wasn't in the hospital when he woke up, nor for the other days that he had to stay there.

"Niall, I know that I am a stranger to you and it can't be changed that easily, but my house is your house as well." Harry smiled through the pain that he was feeling while talking to Niall. "So, be my roommate. So you don't have to sleep on a couch at Liam's. We have a guest bedroom that I will take or you can take, if you feel more comfortable like that. And you need to start your work again. I know that you will be devastated if something happens to your life's work and I am the only one that knows everything about your studio."

Niall looked between Harry and a smiling Liam. He did feel like a bother to Liam and Harry seemed nice. And he was true about everything. It supposedly was his home too and he needed to get back to work.

"Ok. So we will be roommates?" Niall asked with uncertainty and watched as Harry's eyes glinted with hurt while his face never stopped smiling.

"Yes. Only roommates." Harry felt like his heart was being ripped out of his chest, but maybe starting over as roommates would lead to being friends and then to what they are supposed to be. "Oh and in a way I will be your business partner, but no charge there. I have always helped you with your studio and I actually miss it very much. Being in the studio with you and seeing different pictures that you take always helped me with writing songs and my recording studio is slowly getting ready and I need songs, so I can find new artists and help them do something with their life's."

Niall smiled, but there was an aching pain in his chest that accompanied him every time that he was near Harry. He really didn't know the curly haired lad, but his heart was yearning to be closer to him.

"Ok. Nice to meet 'ya roomie!" Niall smiled and extended his hand to Harry, which the green eyed boy took shyly and squeezed ever so gently; sending sweet tingles down Niall's spine.

"Nice to meet you too!" Harry smiled and got lost in Niall's eyes and to be honest, Niall was lost in Harry's eyes, because looking in the green pools of abyss, made him feel safe.

From the other corner of the room, Liam looked at his best friends and first time in forever, he knew that everything will be fine. He knew that they will find each other somehow. They have to.

While a new friendship was forming among broken lovers, another broken soul was hurting all across the city. Louis was way beyond drunk and his heart was shattered. He tried to reason with Niall, but Niall pushed him away, but after tasting Niall so many years later; he just couldn't let go of the blond. He couldn't and he wouldn't.