Hello, curly

One day after the accident

"Hey, honey." Anne poked her head through the door. A small, forced smile on her lips.

"Hey, mom. Thank you so much for coming." Harry quickly got up from the chair on which he was sitting. He gently let go of Niall's hand and laid it down on the bed, being scared to break it.

He ran into his moms hands and started to sob quietly. Anne wrapped her hands around her little boy. Her heart was breaking. She squeezed Harry as tight as she could and finally muttered enough strength to look at Niall. A quite gasp left her mouth as she looked over the once smiley and cheerful boy.

There were, what seemed to be, millions of tubes and wires coming in and out of Niall's body. There was a breathing mask on his mouth and his face was bruised so bad. There were hundreds of cuts scattered around Niall's face and his arms. It looked like he had slid over pile of glass, face first. 

"How is he doing, honey?" Anne whispered in Harry's hair. His body shaking against hers as he tried to calm himself down.

"He-he... he died on the way to the hospital. H-his heart had stopped, mum." Harry started to sob again. He felt like he was reliving it all over again, all day long. "The fucking machine was beeping and all of a sudden there was this long signal like sound. They took that electricity thing and they shocked him. His eyes opened for one second and in that moment I-I thought th-that that will be the last time I see his eyes."

"Oh, baby. It will be fine. Niall is a strong bean, he will make it through all of this." Anne led Harry to the couch that was big enough for Harry to lay down on it. "Please lay down and take a short nap. I will look after Niall and if he wakes up I will wake you up straight away. You need some rest, so when he wakes up you can take care of him. He will need that, right?"

"I-I guess your right." Harry sat down on the couch, but suddenly a lightbulb went off in his head. He quickly turned to Anne. "Did you bring it? The thing I asked you?"

"Yes, Honey. But why did you need it?" Anne asked as she started to shuffle the inside of her bag. Finally she pulled out a small satin bag and pulled a silver necklace chain out of it. It was very delicate and pretty.

Without saying anything, Harry went over to the clothes rack. He took his suit jacket off of it. It was all bloody. As well as the pants and Harry's black shirt that he was still wearing. He put his hand into one of the inner pockets of the jacket and pulled out a beautiful black wood box. Anne gasped as she saw Harry examining the little box in his hands.

"Harry, is that a..." Anne slowly went over to Harry and watched as he opened the little box and a small tear escaped her eye. There was a beautiful silver ring. It had ornaments that resembled Celtic symbols. It looked enchanted.

"I was supposed to propose to him yesterday. We were supposed to be so fucking happy, mum." Harry took the ring out of the box and started to twist it between his fingers. "The doctors didn't let me put it on his finger. But I literally made them, let me put it in a necklace and hang it around his neck."

"Don't you want to wait for him to wake up and get better?" Anne gave Harry the silver chain and looked deep in his sad, tired eyes. "You can still have the perfect proposal when he gets better."

"No, I can't mum. I was supposed to do it yesterday." Anne looked at Harry with a puzzled look. She couldn't understand why was Harry's 23rd birthday so important in this situation. "You see. A little bit over 5 years ago, I first saw Niall working in Coffee Inn. I think that I fell in love the second he asked me 'What can I get you today, sir?'. And after three weeks and gazillions of coffees that I didn't like later, I finally asked him out. He didn't say 'yes', tho."