37. no means no

The newest development in our situation was that Echo wanted us to kill Shaw. For her, it seemed that there was not limit to the wrong we could do. 

Her belief was that the ship was their biggest strategical advantage, if we took their pilot away from them, they were left with nothing. 

Raven and I vehemently shot down her idea, but I couldn't entirely fault her for her thinking, it did make some sense. 

But Shaw had been the closest thing to an ally we had in this place, we couldn't just kill him...could we?

My mind never seemed to stop as I sat in that church, trying to find a way out of this. 

I couldn't just sit here and hope that Bellamy and the others were going to get us out, we needed to figure something out on our own. 

Raven had been taken out of the church this morning by some man who said Abby needed her. I felt anxious watching her go, but hoped that maybe she could work on a plan with Abby.

Kane may be with Diyoza, but it didn't mean Abby was. 

With Raven being gone, and Echo and I not really having anything to tall about, I busied myself with trying to figure out a way for us to slip these collars. 

I stood by one of the tables, my eyes scanning the surface for some sort of tool that could be useful.

"What are you doing?" 

I almost jumped out of my skin at the voice, and quickly turned to see Shaw watching me with curiosity. His face was still bloodied and bruised for the beatings he had endured, and it make my stomach churn slightly. 

I turned back to the table, picking up a fork. "Trying to figure out a way to get these stupid collars off."

He moved closed to me, blocking me from sight of the guards. "You're worried about Raven aren't you? You haven't sat still since she left."

A small sigh left my lips as I began bending the end of the fork. "Of course I'm worried."

"That won't work." he finally said, nodding to the fork. "You're just going to shock yourself."

"Well, I don't see you coming up with any grand ideas."

The corners of his lips twitched ever so slightly. "I hear that your friend over there wants to kill me." He muttered, nodding toward Echo. It was a total change of topic, but it wasn't unfounded.

My face paled as I quickly glanced over my shoulder at her. She was watching us with narrowed eyes.

He let out a small chuckle as he shook his head. "Relax. It's not like I'm going to say anything to Diyoza."

"Why wouldn't you?" I blurted. "You're in here because of us."

He nodded. "And you're in here because of me. Because I was too afraid to stand up to her."

"Standing up for what's right doesn't get you very far these days." I mumbled, looking down at my hands for a moment. 

"Doesn't it?"

I shook my head as I let out a small sigh. "I used to think it did, but now I'm not too sure."

A sense of comfortable silence fell between us for a moment before I finally spoke. "Shouldn't you have already found a way to get us out of these? You know them better than anyone."

"I've got to admit, this is my first time wearing one."

My eyes flickered toward him and a sheepish smile came to my face. "Right." I muttered.