O. Prologue

IN WHICH WALL MARIA FALLS!*ೃ༄ ARMS TONITE  ∕  CHAPTER ZERO

*ೃ༄
ARMS TONITE  ∕  CHAPTER ZERO

IN WHICH WALL MARIA FALLS!*ೃ༄ ARMS TONITE  ∕  CHAPTER ZERO

      ROSES ARE OVERRATED. Araminta did not know a lot of things--she was only ten, why would she need to?--but she did know that roses were overrated. Her father had managed to find some for cheap enough in the town square,  and brought them home as some sort of peace offering for her mother. As she sat at the edge of the table, eating the toast she'd been given for breakfast, her amber eyes glared at the already wilting roses, wondering what the best way to get rid of them were.

      There weren't a whole lot of flowers in Shiganshina, so she couldn't say she had found the best smelling one yet. So far, though, she'd really taken a liking to the scent of lilacs. And bonus!--they were purple, which she had already proclaimed to be her favorite color. Why hadn't her father brought home lilacs? They definitely smelled much better than roses, and weren't quite as ugly when they began to die.

      If only she had laser vision, she could burn the flowers right there in the kitchen. But alas, she hadn't been gifted with that ability. So instead, she would stare at them like she did have laser vision until she came up with a different plan.

      "'Minta, love, you've barely touched your food." Her mother pointed out, gesturing to her plate as she passed by. The small girl huffed, picking it up and ripping a piece of it off aggressively with her teeth. From across the table, Araminta could practically hear her sister roll her eyes.

      "You could at least try to act like you have manners." Marina critiqued.

      Araminta ignored her, returning her gaze to the roses. If her future husband ever brought her home roses, she thought she might make him sleep outside in the rain. They were pretty enough when they were freshly cut, like the afternoon her father returned home with them, but that was two days ago and they'd already begun wilting. Two days. Who knew a flower could be so weak.