VIII. Surrender Your Heart

IN WHICH ARAMINTA JOINS THE SCOUTS!*ೃ༄ ARMS TONITE  ∕  CHAPTER EIGHT

*ೃ༄
ARMS TONITE  ∕  CHAPTER EIGHT

       THE SMALL PIECE OF FABRIC THAT RESTED atop the bridge of Araminta's nose was unfortunately not enough to block the horrible smell that filled up the small alleyway she wandered down

       THE SMALL PIECE OF FABRIC THAT RESTED atop the bridge of Araminta's nose was unfortunately not enough to block the horrible smell that filled up the small alleyway she wandered down. This was her fifth time since the day the wall had been sealed that they had returned to Trost, working to cover every inch of the city to identify the hundreds if not thousands of dead bodies, and so far it had been one of the most awful experiences of her life.

Their first day out there, as Araminta would later be informed, Jean had stumbled upon the half eaten corpse of Marco Bott. It was news that had hit her hard. It was expected, since he'd never gone back over the wall with them and was missing for several days, but she'd held out hope that he would be okay, that maybe he'd just gotten lost somewhere or something along those lines.

       No, she and Marco were not best friends, but he had always been so kind to her and given words of encouragement, she was so excited to see him grow as a soldier and a leader. And after how well he had performed during the Battle of Trost, with encouraging Armin and Jean, she was sure he would have a bright future. But that future had been ripped away from him faster than he could even blink.

The only thing that Araminta could think as she sauntered down the street, resisting the urge to plug her nose with her fingers, was think to herself how lucky she was to be alive. She was so incredibly lucky that she wasn't one of the bodies rotting on the side of the street, and no matter how much she hated it, she was even lucky that she was able to smell it all.

         And then when she thought about how lucky she was, she started to wonder why she was so lucky? Out of all the people who had gone to fight in the Battle of Trost, why had she been one of the people who got to survive? There were definitely soldiers much more deserving of life than she was, weren't there?