VII. Witness

IN WHICH ARAMINTA ATTENDS A TRIAL!*ೃ༄ ARMS TONITE  ∕  CHAPTER SEVEN

*ೃ༄
ARMS TONITE ∕ CHAPTER SEVEN

IN WHICH ARAMINTA ATTENDS A TRIAL!*ೃ༄ ARMS TONITE  ∕  CHAPTER SEVEN

"'MINTA, SWEETIE, PASS ME THAT ONION." The soft voice of Araminta's mother dragged her out of the daydream she had been in the middle of enjoying, and into reality, which at the moment was her kitchen.

Marina and her father had gone out to pick up a pie from the bakery on the other edge of the town to have for dessert--normally they wouldn't go out of their way to get some pastry, but it was Marina's birthday so they had decided it would be worth it. While the two of them were off doing that, Araminta was helping her mother make Marina's favorite dinner.

      With a small hum, Araminta picked up the onion off of the table, waltzing over to her mom lazily before setting it up on the countertop. Her fingertips danced across the wood lazily as she watched her mother dip the knife into the vegetable. Cooking wasn't she'd ever really found interest in, she would rather do basically anything else--except for practicing her handwriting, cooking was definitely better than doing that.

       "You know, cooking is a very valuable skill." Her mother spoke, turning the onion under her fingers before making another slice. "One day, your husband will really appreciate it." She smiled down at Araminta, who fake gagged at that statement.

       "I don't want a husband, Mama. They seem like too much work." She told her mother matter-of-factly, which made the woman chuckle softly to herself. It wasn't meant to be funny, but she was a bit proud of herself for making her mom laugh.

        "Trust me, little mouse, they are a lot of work." She responded, turning up her nose as she began to thinly slice one half of the onion. "And unfortunately, your father is not the exception." She mumbled that part, but Araminta was still able to pick it up.