Chasing the Moon

RYE

Rye, I'm bored. I could hear the annoyance in her voice. Honestly, I couldn't blame her, if I was stuck learning from Mother I would be bored too. After last night I could feel our bond getting stronger, even now she was across the Estate from me and I could reach her. The more open we were and the more time we spent with each other the stronger the bond got. It was like working a muscle the more you used it the stronger it got.

Fine, I let out a mental sigh, one I was positive she could hear. I have a surprise for you. I felt her fire jump in excitement. I'm on my way to get you out of class.

I hauled ass to get to her and it wasn't because the surprise was that good. I just liked being around her. After last night I felt closer to her. I felt like she was now truly becoming a part of my Coterie.

I walked to the back of the Estate where the ballroom was. From outside the big oak doors I could hear the music flowing from the room. The piano music sweeping my body away with the tempo. I braced my arm against the door and pushed.

Emerson was in the middle of the ballroom holding her arm out in front of her, as if she had an imaginary partner. She was moving gracefully to the music, turning and weaving around the room. She had forgone her typical armored gown and instead wore a pale grey dress with white stars. Her dress was so long, I didn't know how she managed not to trip over it.

My mother was just standing next to the pianist, the corners of her mouth pulling down. She made no effort to hide her disgust. Emerson was a good dancer, trust me, I knew she was. However my Mother seemed to find something wrong with everything. I slid into the room, not bothering to look towards my Mother. I quickly walked across the marble flooring, my shoes clicking on the floor, and grabbed Emerson's hands. I slid one hand around her waist and held the other one up.

Took you long enough. She smiled and her dimples showed up, causing me to smile. We continued to waltz around the room, her steps light and sure of herself. She really was a great dancer.

I wanted you to suffer with my Mother a little bit longer. I sarcastically rolled my eyes at her. I held onto her hand a little tighter and spun her. She tilted her head back and laughed, her dark hair whipped around her face. My whole body tingled at the sight of her, at the sound of her joyous laugh. The world didn't get enough of that laugh, I couldn't help but think back to last night. She opened herself up to me and for the first time I got to see a small portion of the sadness she kept locked inside herself. I just couldn't stop thinking about the sword she told me about, I was so sure I had seen it before. I had stayed up most of the night looking around the Estate for that sword. I was so sure I had seen it somewhere. Once she was done turning I pulled her in closer, our bodies brushing each other from time to time. Are you ready to leave this afternoon?

Of course, there's nothing here for me anymore. She didn't look sad as she said that though. She looked as if she was full of hope for whatever was to come.

Perfect, there's just one more thing I need you to do before we go. Her eyebrows raised.

Then what are we waiting for. I stopped dancing and she stood still, her golden-brown eyes staring into mine. For a split second she didn't let go, but then my Mother interrupted, I internally cursed her.

"And what do you think you're doing?" She started walking over towards us. I pulled down my high heir mask and hid my face. I cleared my throat.

"Emerson and I have something we need to do before we leave the afternoon," I started pulling her towards the heavy oak doors. "But I am sure we will see you on the boat." As the High Goddess my Mother had to be at every event to show her support, so sadly that meant she had to tag along with us. I pulled Emerson back toward the main part of the house and up into her room.