Never too Late

Giveaway update: The winners will be announced next Tuesday night with the regular chapter update! Good luck to everyone!

Emerson

I hate to say that I was keeping tabs on Rye, but I was keeping tabs on Rye. Ever since this morning I knew something was wrong. After the deep wave of hurt, anger, guilt, I felt nothing from him. He shut me out completely, the bond had gone completely silent. Even when I spoke to him before dinner the wall was up between us, like he was purposely keeping me out. He still put a smile on his face and told me that he would speak to me later, in private, about what happened this morning. Since that conversation the bond was slowly opening up again. Not all at once, but Rye slowly opened his channel to me. Almost as if he was making sure his emotions were in check. I made sure to use whatever small opening I was given to make sure he was okay. I now sat in the Estate Library and tracked his movements throughout the Estate. He seemed to be going further underground. Until he stopped just a little west of where I was currently. After trying to read for half an hour, and failing miserably, his voice popped into my head. I couldn't say I wasn't relieved.

Emerson, I need your help, but I don't think you're going to like what I am going to have to ask you.

Rye what's wrong. I could feel the anger in his voice, the anger he was trying to mask from me. After the intense emotion that I felt this morning I was a little on edge.

I can't tell you like this. Where are you?

I'm in the library.

Go To Jase's room and wait for me there, this is going to take all three of us. I will be there in five.

After that statement he ripped his side of the bond off from me and jarringly threw me back into my own mind. I quickly closed the book and walked briskly upstairs to Jase's room. I knocked on the door frantically and all it took was one look from Jase and he could tell something was wrong.

"What is it?"

"I don't know, Rye said he's coming to explain. He only told me to come here and that whatever was coming was going to take all three of us." Jase rubbed his palms in his eyes.

"That means it's really not good."

After what seemed like an eternity from sitting in quiet there was a quick knock at the door before Rye burst in, holding a bunch of papers. He ran in and kicked the door shut behind him; his hands full. He spread out all the papers on the small table between the two couches. I glanced down, it looked like ledgers and reports. I hadn't seen papers like this sense I worked on the guild's account months ago. Rye sat down on the couch next to me and across from Jase.

He first filled us in on what Adrianus had told him. He told us about the armies that were in the forest between us and the Eastern Kingdoms. Multiple guards had seen the armies gathering all wearing the Anemos region colors. I felt lead fill into my stomach, I felt my star burn out. I knew Rye could feel it to because he walked over to me. He pressed on, telling us his suspicions about Gale, showing us the reports, the ledgers. Anger burned inside of me and a small part of me wanted to slip into the quiet. I had let it take me before, with Mathew, and I was to give in.

Rye leaned closer to me, "Emerson, I kno—"

"You don't have to say it," I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. Gale's face played through my head. Betrayal and hatred burned through me. I thought that we were friends, that I could trust him. I took a deep breath and forgot it all. I forgot every moment, every dance, every conversation, I couldn't see him as a friend, not anymore. He was an enemy to the crown, that was all. "Tell me the facts. I don't want the emotional aspect; I need just the facts."