A Pile of Ash and Bone

Emerson

I had only met the Heir of our Region three times in my life, none of those times were very pleasant experiences, and now I was the one being hired to kill him.

I was sitting in the heart of the assassin's guild, the meeting room, my back was pressed against the hardwood of the chair. The only people in the room were me, of course, my Master Lelon, and his third in command Mathew. The two of them were busy pouring over maps and notes in the dim lighting of the room, while I tried to think of some plausible plan that would end with me successfully killing the Heir.

I couldn't think of anything. It was implausible.

The timing just wasn't right, not to mention why I couldn't figure out why someone would want him dead. Prometheus Ryegalias Brand, or Rye to his close friends, was your typically spoiled Prince, with a pompous ass name. He didn't fit my typical hit. I usually only focused on people who had a bounty on their heads or who had actually done terrible things to people.

As much as I hated the Prince, he hadn't yet done anything to deserve my wrath. Although, the client had one hundred thousand gold marks. Split between Lelon, Mathew, and I, I could finally get out of the house I was currently living in. I tried pressuring Lelon into giving me information, even pulling rank saying his second needed to know why the Client had chosen the Prince. After he told me to shut the hell up or get off this case, was when I decided that it would be a good time for me to stop talking. I stood up from my chair and walked over to the bumbling idiots still talking about a plan, a plan that was sure to be impossible.

"I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there's now way this is happening." I pulled out a throwing knife from one of the many sheathes I had on me and threw it at a map on the wall. It made a thud as it sunk into the wall.

"Do you really doubt me already Emerson?" Lelon turned away from the map, and towards me, a sly grin plastered on his face. "Have you forgotten who I am?" I could never forget the man I called Master. He was one of the best assassins in the Regions, gods one of the best in the whole Nation. Since I was right up there with him, I knew that there was no way he could pull this off, because there was no way in Hellas I could pull it off.

"Lelon, this is a joke. There is no rutting way that we are going to be able to kill him. He's boarded up in that stupid palace of his on the Main Island. He is hundreds of miles away from us."

"Good thing we have someone on the inside." I stifled a groan. Being adopted into the head of the Royal Court's family had its' advantages, but none quite that big. I still hadn't had any contact with Rye in years. The only times I had ever seen him was at official Royal Events where my adopted parents deemed that I was worthy enough to go if I stayed quiet and hidden in the corner.

"He's not even here and I would go to the burning pit of Hellas before I went on a trip to the Main Island." They were the richest of the rich, all with the same pompous accent. I walked over to the wall and grabbed my knife from the wall. It hit the dead center, the Main Island of our nation.

"Well my dear," Lelon grabbed the knife from my hand, and threw it at the wall without even looking, it hit a little off-center. "Good thing I have reason to believe that he will be coming here soon. Instead of running your beautiful little mouth why don't you go freshen up your skills." I gave him a small condescending grin as I reached for the knife strapped to my thigh. While still looking his dead in those Silver eyes I threw. Landing perfectly on the center a few centimeters from his knife moment before. Mathew was wise to roll up the maps and step out of the room. It seemed as though he didn't want to be caught in the cross fight between Lelon and me. I could feel the Starfire inside of me surge, begging me to fight and release its white-hot flames. I could feel the energy rolling off of Lelon as well. I had to leave before one of us ended up dead, and I knew it wouldn't be me.