Fire Will Burn You

Emerson

 When I finally awoke it was well past noon, everyone else's day would have started hours ago. I rolled out of bed, my sore muscles barking in protest. Today was the only day I had off of classes and training since it was considered a holy day. Most people would be at the temple saying prayers to the God or Goddess of their region. Adrianus and Lucielle tried to drag me to a temple when I was eight, I screamed so loud I convinced them to never force me to go to a temple again. It's been ten years since that day and I haven't set foot in a temple since then. I have no reason to say thank you to the gods.

I padded into the bathroom and turned on the water to the shower, the heat causing the mirror to fog. I noticed a letter sitting on my counter. It was addressed to me with a gold sigil of a vulture stamped over it, Lelon's sigil. I ripped open the envelope and pulled out the letter.

Meet me in the council room at one. We have something to discuss. I would also tell your parents to get better guards, it was too easy to sneak this letter into your room. I could practically hear the snark in the last sentence.

I angrily crumpled up the paper. Adrianus and Lucielle weren't my parents, not even close. They had no choice but to take me in. They were scared if the King found out about who I was Isla would lose out on her so-called birthright. They took me in and covered up who I was.

Before I could dwell on my hatred for both Adrianus and Lucielle I realized that it was almost one. I quickly jumped into the shower, the water burning my skin. I washed everything and was out in under seven minutes. I threw on a white button-up, tight black pants, and black riding boots. I grabbed my cloak from the spot where I threw it on the floor last night.

I pulled it tight around my shoulders, even well into the afternoon the Januarius air was biting. I opened my window and felt the wind sting my face, I grimaced. Since everyone was gone at the temple it was easy for me to climb down my window and disappear down the street.

I emerged from one of the many alleyways in the city, right in front of the grand house of Merchant, Leoleander. Leoleander has set up a respectable textile trade between the regions, which had afforded him such a nice house. No one would suspect that Leoleander never existed, and was in fact a front for the assassin's guild. I pulled on the gold door handle and slipped inside. Mathew was sitting in the dining room, in the exact spot where I left him last night. He had a plate of food in front of him and letters scattered around.

"Took you long enough he's downstairs," Mathew didn't even bother looking up from his piles of papers.

"At least my ass isn't the one stuck to that chair," he smirked down at his papers. I left the room and sauntered into the library. I pulled on one of the many books revealing a pad. I slid out the knife around my arm and used it to prick my finger, a drop of blood welling to the surface. I squeezed my finger and let the drop fall into the pad. It hissed as it dissolved into the surface. The door was blood enchanted by a half-blank Lilura heir. It would only open to the blood of those with access. Currently, that was only Lelon, Mathew, Val, and I. The other assassin's in the guild weren't privy to the knowledge that was downstairs.

The bookcases slid open revealing a black winding staircase. I ducked my head in the door and made my descent, the bookshelf closing after me. At the bottom, the stairs opened up to the main council room. A long wooden table sat in the middle. Last night I was in here listening to Lelon's impossible plan to kill Prince Rye. Now I was back to listen to the rest of his ridiculous plan.

Lelon's blonde hair was tied back into a low ponytail. He sat at the head of the table, his feet up and his arms crossed. The picture of male arrogance. I sauntered across the room and sat in a chair near him. His movement was graceful as he pulled his legs off the table and uncrossed his arms.