Living in Darkness

Before we start I would like just like to say that the end of this chapter is a little spicy. Just be aware that there is a scene at the end that's at least PG-13. However if you decide to skip you will not miss anything important in that section. Happy Reading Loves. 

Emerson

 I walked up to my room quickly, my muscles barking at me to stop moving., but I couldn't stop. I used the back staircase from the healing wing and sprinted up the stairs. Using the pain from my sore muscles to distract me from the look on Rye's face when I left. I knew that my Mother was looking down at my right now screaming at me, but I couldn't help it. I would feel even worse if I just forgave him so easily. He lied to me about the one thing I had spent my entire life looking for.

I took the steps up two by two, every breath I took putting me in more pain. My ribs started stabbing into my side. When I reached my floor I looked around quickly before walking to my room. I didn't want anyone to see me, not yet. I wanted my friends, I didn't want fake people with their fake concern. I knew most of them would have been happier if I died, one less person to compete with.

I knew that Rye didn't want to lose me and that in his mind he chose love over the crown. He didn't tell because he was scared of losing me not scared of losing my powers, but even then it didn't excuse what he did.

I thankful reached my door without running into anyone and silently thanked the gods for the small blessing. I opened the door to my room and Isla, Nina, Jase, and Gale were sitting in my living room. All of them broke into huge smiles when I stepped into the room. I could feel the anxiousness and tension like a live wire in the room.

Isla ran across the room and drew me into a massive hug. I took a sharp inhale as my muscles strained, she quickly pulled back, "I'm so sorry did I hurt you?"

I smiled wider, "No." I pulled her into a bigger hug and spent a few moments just being there with her. Just regretting the fact that I almost gave this all up, almost gave up on life. I forgot that the little moments are what life is worth living for. When I pulled away Jase gave me a solid pat on the back. I rolled my eyes at him and gave him a good punch in the shoulder. I had to bit the inside of my lip so he wouldn't see the pain that I was in.

"You had me scared there for a moment, Emmy." I had decided that I immediately hated the new nickname he had given me. I made crinkled my nose in disgust. "I earned the right to say that when I had your blood all over my hands." I shrugged and gave him a half hearted nod that seemed to say I guess I'll give you that.

"I suppose that's true." I quickly pulled him into a hug, before he could protest. He was stiff for a moment before relaxing and hugging me back. "Thank you for that." I had already apologized for trying to kill him but all he said was that he understood and that it was fine. He also told me that he was greatly sorry for keeping the secret from me but Rye was his King and he would forever serve his country. I knew that I couldn't fault his loyalty, not when in the near future he would be just a loyal to me. I pulled away from the hug and saw that Nina and Isla's hands were intertwined, a big smile plastered on both of their faces. Every now and then she would give Isla three squeezes. That was the third time I had seen a member of the Brande family do that. Curiosity bloomed inside of my mind.

I raised a quick eyebrow to Isla who just blushed and turned away from me. I smiled and mouthed that I was happy for them, at least one of us should be happy. I finally turned to face Gale who just watched me. As if in any moment I would just disappear. The others saw the way he looked at me and excused themselves to the other room, shutting the door behind them.

He stood abruptly from his chair, "I thought that for a moment you were gone." He walked over to me and pulled my hands to his. His face was clear, freshly shaven, and surprisingly sharp. I smiled. He was exactly like I remembered in as if these past few days had never happened.