You and Me against the world

I was going to post on Thursday but we've been having really bad storms all week and the wifi has been iffy. Anyways Enjoy :) 

Emerson

 I awoke. My eyelids slowly opened in the dim room. Confusion swept through me. Where was I? How did I get here? I took a deep breath and like a dam all the memories flooded back into me. I jolted up from the bed.

"Rye," I tried frantically to get up out of bed, but my muscles refused to work. I looked around, he wasn't here. I felt panic rise up in me. He was dead. He wasn't here and he was so close to death in that fight. I felt someone pressing me back down.

"Emerson, Emerson." They kept calling my name to get me to calm down. "It's Nina." I froze from trying to get out of bed. "You're in the healing wing. Calm down, tou exhausted yourself and almost died. I need you to relax, or you are going to burn out." I finally calmed down and looked around the room. It was the same room I had woken up in the first time I had almost died. I really needed to stop almost dying.

"Rye." I croaked, my throat was dry. She pressed a hand on my shoulder. She had those same blue Brande eyes that seemed to calm me.

"He's in your room upstairs. He's okay. He woke up before you and you know how stubborn he is, he insisted he was fine. He basically fought everyone to try to get in here, but the healers thought that the power of the bond would drain more magic. So they forbid him from coming in here until you were awake" I tried climbing out of bed again, but my muscles felt raw and weak. I just needed to get to him, even if I crawled. "Stop stop." She held me down easily considering I had the strength of a newborn. "I'll get someone to take you upstairs. You have to understand that you depleted so much energy that there was barely any to keep your heart beating. So please, stop using said energy, Rye would kill me if something happened to you." She walked over to the door and called for someone. "I promised I would look after him because he wasn't allowed in here himself." Jase walked in a few moments later with a smug grin on his face.

"Emerson, you really need to stop ending up in these situations." I flipped him off. Everything hurt, from head to toe. I didn't have time to deal with his subtle jabs. "Fine, I'll shut up, for now." He walked over to the side of the bed and wrapped his arms behind my knees and picked me up. I rested my heavy head against his chest. "You owe me after this."

"How about I start by not killing you after this." He walked me slowly through the hallways and up the stairs.

"Damn. That snark is still there, I really hoped that it didn't survive." I tried to punch him in the chest, but it came out to a really soft smack. He laughed and I rolled my eyes.

Soon enough he opened the door to my room and I saw Rye sleeping in the bed. I watched as his chest rose and fell and something in me relaxed. Jase laid me next to him and I moved under the blanket.

"Do you need a bedtime story, or a goodnight kiss?" Jase jokingly puckered his lips. I rolled my eyes at him again. "Whatever you need my Queen." He gave a fake flourished bow and I flipped him off again. "In all seriousness, Congratulations on winning and thank you, for saving my best friend." He gave a quick head nod to Rye, who thankfully was passed out cold.

"No, thank you. You are always there for the both of us and I'm glad that you're in our Coterie." He smiled at me and lightly tapped me in the arm.

"You're welcome." He gave me a wink. "Now I'm going to let you rest. Both of you really need it."

He turned the lights off and I heard the door click behind him. I sat in the dark for a moment, watching his chest rise and fall. Then exhaustion dragged me down and the darkness took over.