The Sun and The Moon

Rye 

The last three days had gone in a blur of attendants and court members. They were scrambling to get the Soul Search up and running in just a few days. We needed merchants for the outer circle and countless other menial tasks that could fill hundred of books. My Mother hadn't left my side through any decisions, as if she was afraid that I was going to mess up. Every decision I made she mulled over with uncertainty.

We were sitting in my office in our estate in Ignaica. It was modeled almost the exact same as Slate Manor. However, Brickfire, had more rooms and ballrooms for hosting our courts in grand parties. We were hosting one tomorrow night in honor of the Soul Search the following day.

I shuffled mountains of paper work around on my desk, my Mother glanced up from her book. She gave me a quizzical brow and went back to reading. She was suffocating me, I couldn't be my own King with her breathing down my neck at every turn. She glanced up at me again, I was going to kill her. If I didn't leave this instant I might actually kill my Mother. I had things I needed to do, like go into the city to get my outfit for the masquerade tomorrow. I pushed my chair back, my Mother quickly whipped her head up and closed her book.

"I'm going into the city to get my outfit for the ball tomorrow." She rose with me. "Why don't you stay here and finish your book. I know how to pick out a suit I've been doing it for years."

"You're King now Prometheus you can't be going into the city, let alone by yourself." She folded her hands in front of her dress. I took a deep breath to keep myself from rolling my eyes at her.

"I'll be fine, I can handle myself." I opened a palm and let the ball of fire burn there for a moment and then closed my fist. "Our people need to see us, and quite frankly I would like to see them as well. It's been a while since we've been back and I would like to see how Father's change in policy affected them."

"Your Father's policies did great things for them, your might too," she interjected. It took a lot not to roll my eyes at her.I walked across the room and opened the door to the hallway.

"I will see you later, Mother." I strode through the door and shut it behind me. As I walked through the halls I waved at our servants as I passed. They all bowed to me, I bowed back which left a surprised look on their faces.

I stopped quickly at my room to change into more suitable wear for the city. I opened the wardrobe and pulled out a simple white button down and a pair of black pants. I stripped off my black suit jacket and red silk button down. I hated wearing both but Mother said that I at least had to look the part of a King. I undid my belt and slid off my pants. I put on the new outfit and headed to the main door. I left before anyone else could stop me or say anything to me. The Januarius air cooled my burning skin.

There was still snow on the ground from the night before. I walked through the Royal Sector making my way to the checkpoint. It was well past noon and I knew that I had to back by five to meet with the advisors for the city. I strode closer to the checkpoint, I saw the guards straighten up and place both hands on the pommel of their swords. These guards had been her for a few years now and I knew how easy it was to get complacent at an easy job. I made a mental note to put the guards on a rotation at the gate, complacency made for mistakes. I stopped at the gate for the guards to wave me through. They bowed to me and I quickly bowed back. They both had a confused look on their face. They looked at each other and back to me.

"I'm sorry, but do you mind if I ask why you look so confused?" I saw the guard on my right swallow hard. His blonde hair looked white in the dim light of the afternoon. He pursed his lips together. The guard to my left took a deep breath and looked me in the eyes.