Lady of the Night

(Also here is the playlist I play as I am writing this book! If anyone is interested in how I feel when writing it) 

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3dIiaMmptTrO59dMLCwmNS?si=S2t_dkEyTOuUGFBoH5-sGg

RYE

The ball was boring, well that was an understatement. I sat on my throne in the middle of the dais, looking out towards the throng of people laughing and dancing. The stiff back of the throne made my back ache. I rolled back my shoulders to relieve some of the tension. Per royal protocol, I wasn't allowed to leave my throne until someone asked me to dance. They had to request the presence of their King.

It had been about thirty minutes into the ball and no one had yet to deign ask me. It was a waiting game and a political conquest. The first person to ask me would have to be sure that I would say yes, giving them the power over the rest of the court members. However, if they asked to early there wouldn't be enough people at the ball to witness it and ask too late and they would miss their chance.

I tried not to look as bored as I felt, the mask helped with that problem. I was about to run my hand through my hair before I realized that I was wearing a newly fashioned crown. It was made for me and not my father, the metal was black with deep rubies scattered across the band. I was just about to take another sip of my drink when the doors on the top of the stairs opened.

Every guest walked through those doors to be announced and then they would walk down either winding staircases on the side to the dance floor. I sat up straight waiting to hear who was being announced. I knew if Isla walked in her dad would make her ask me to dance.

The page walked out first he cleared his throat and the room stopped mingling to look at him. We were still early into the revelry, so the room stopped at every announcement, later there would be too many people to stop the talking.

"My I present, The Lady of the Night." The page gave a grand bow. I perked my head up, my crown tilting back in the light.

I didn't know anyone under that title. We didn't have anyone in the court hailing from the Sun and Moon line. The name had to be a fake. Once I saw her I could figure out who it was, she had to be a member of the courts to be here. There were enchantments around the estate so secure that only people who worked here, court member, or heirs were allowed in.

The page stepped to the side and a girl stepped from behind him with her chin held high, her shoulders relaxed. The people below started to whisper. She wasn't wearing black or white, but a shade of red that practically matched mine exactly.

I tilted my head so slightly and watched as she floated down he stairs. The page took a step back and introduced someone else, but no one turned to look at them.

Everyone was staring at her.

Her movements were a liquid fire, graceful but intent, like she was sure of everything. As she got closer I could see how her hair fanned from a black to a deep grey, like smoke. I couldn't help but smile. I straightened up as she walked closer to my dais. She didn't stop as party goers gawked over her outfit or tried to pull her into a conversation. She kept her eyes locked on mine as she floated across the room. Her dress sparkled under the light. She stopped at the foot of my stairs and curtsied.

"Your Majesty," her voice burned a hole through me, "May I approach?" She curtsied low every movement graceful. I cleared my throat.

"You may your Ladyship." I saw her lips twitch, as if she was trying to stifle a laugh. She gently rose and ascended the marble stairs to the dais. I knew that everyone was watching us, but I couldn't tear my eyes away from her. As she got closer I could see her brown eyes, not just brown, but honey brown with stars glowing in them. She stopped in front of my throne and held out a gloved hand.