Exchange

Rye

 It was late, the moon was rising higher and higher into the night sky and there I sat. I couldn't bare to look out the windows and see the moon or the stars. All I could see was Emerson and every time I thought about her name all I felt was this emptiness.

I wanted to know who did this, I deserved to know who did this. I wanted the bloodlines to pay for their ignorance. Even if a part of me wanted to blame myself I was the one who told her to tell everyone she was half-blank. If I hadn't told everyone she was a half-blank then maybe we wouldn't be in this situation right now. I ran a hand through my hair, I couldn't think like that. I couldn't let the possibility or the thousands of other scenarios dictate my life. There was nothing I can do to change it now, but I could still do something to make it right. I rolled my shoulders and stood up for the floor. My legs barking from their hours of sitting.

Right as I stood my Mother walked into the hallway. Seeing her brought up all the anger I had. I curled my fists by my side. She walked over to me, her head held high, but I could see the dark circles under her eyes.

"What are you doing here?" I gritted my teeth and spoke the words near silent.

"I came to see how she was doing." She gave me a small smile.

"Don't act like you care." All I could hear was the things she said about Emerson, the things she said about her family. Even though she didn't know about my Father killing Emerson's family she told me shewasn't disappointed with it. She said that things must be done to keep the throne. All she talked about was how that family was a threat and even now the thirteenth bloodline was causing problems for our bloodline. She was disgusting and she didn't care about anything except the poisoned crown a top her head.

"My dear, I do care. I care that you get the crown and she is the best way to get it." Her tight smile graced her lips. I blinked, trying to calm the roaring fire inside of my veins. I could feel it pulsating under my skin, looking for a way out. I took a deep breath, trying to remember to quell the flames.

"She's a person, she matters. She's not just a means to an end." I scoffed at her.

I started to pace the length of the hallway. I couldn't stay here, not the with stars coming in from the windows and the moon at its full. I had to do something, I had to get out of here, someone had to pay for this crime. Just as I was about to run out of the hallway Gale entered. His face was ashen, all of the color instantly gone. I froze, gritting my teeth harder.

I remembered the night of our fight Gale was at her door. I knew the look on his face, I knew that he loved her. I curled my hands into fists. How dare he show his face here. I stormed across the hallway, Jase leapt from the shadows and gripped my shoulder. I hadn't even noticed that he was there, but he was, watching me, waiting for me to break out of my state of disbelief and turning to a state of anger.

He leaned into my ear and whispered, "Now is not the time," His grip on my shoulder tightened. I threw it off, grabbing his wrist in a tight hold.

"He tried to take her from me. Everyone can see it and everyone knows." Jase did not budge an inch, he had never gone toe to toe with me before. He would stop me if he felt that he was protecting me from myself. I could feel the fire in my rise up, burning red hot. I knew that fighting Jase would not be a good idea and it would end very badly.

"Rye," He let go gently, and his typical gaze was replaced with a soft one, one I hadn't seen very often. "He hasn't taken her from you. Someone else has tried and might succeed, but it wasn't Gale. Don't take out your anger on your ally who is just as motivated to her as yourself." I stood there for a moment contemplating his words. My fire died down in response. Jase clapped me on the shoulder and was content to go back to the shadows on the wall. I took a deep breath before I stalked over toward Gale.