In the Air Around You

Good news, so school got cancelled for me because of an ice storm that's coming through, but that means that I will be posting two bonus chapters. One will be posted Friday night and one will be posted on Saturday. It's the least I can do for all of the support that you all give me. It means the world to me!

Emerson

Rye and I continued to make our rounds at all the other tables, stopping to greet every other Heir and their betrothed. Who knew that talking to six other couples would take so long. Still, I never got tired of them asking me about my costume, my gold wings flexing in and out thanks to the Cairn half-blank moving them. I made a mental note to thank him later for using his ability for such a little thing.

I rolled out my ankles as we walked away from the Terra table, my gold painted heels digging into my feet. Rye noticed my discomfort and let me lean on him as I relieved my feet of my weight. It was so easy to pretend with him, the easy ebb and flow of our conversation made things so natural. The orchestra played quietly in the background as couples milled around the room.

"We only have one more table, the Glacios table." He pulled me into a somewhat hidden corner of the room. I almost tripped from the sudden change of course. We were between two pillars of marble in the back corner, my wings pushing against one pillar, pushing the harness into my back. "Emerson," He pushed a stray lock of hair behind my ear, I forced myself not to blush. Opening up to him was different than opening up to anyone else, I felt like he knew me, and he didn't walk away. He ran his thumb down my cheek, I knew he was just doing this to play his part, to make it look like he was in love with me, it wasn't real. I had to chide myself, it isn't real, it isn't real, it's real. If I said it enough it I would believe it.

"Rye," My breathing became shallower, my heart pounding against my rib cage, loud enough that I thought he could hear it.

"I know you can handle yourself just fine, but at this next table please don't say anything." He gave a soft laugh at the end to make it look like a light hearted conversation. Not like he was warning about what was to come.

"But why" I ran my hand up his buttoned shirt, doing my part to play the lover.

"Emerson, these people are power hunger Heirs who hate us because Ignacia has beaten them for the throne every single year. I know that you can handle yourself better than anyone, but this is court politics and I don't trust them." He sighed his beautiful blue eyes staring straight into mine. "If I'm being honest want you anywhere near them, but that's not my choice."

"Okay, so stay away from them forever? Or just for tonight?" I knew that he wasn't trying to undermine me, I could see genuine fear and concern in his eyes.

"Whenever you can avoid them do it, please, for me. I've seen them do terrible things to half-blanks." He slid his hands up my arms, a blaze of fire flowing where ever he touched. I couldn't tell if it was just him touching me or his fire. He's just pretending, he's just pretending. His blue eyes were a darker color blue than normal, he was nervous. I didn't notice how close together are bodies were. The heat between the two of us was growing, the corner growing stifling hot. His hands were still on my arms, he his hands trail back down my arms stopping at my fingertips and looking down. My heart started beating faster. He looked up from my hands, he looked at me from behind his dark lashes. "Are you ready?" I cleared my throat hoping that my voice wouldn't give away what I was feeling inside.

"Y-yes." Hopefully he would just pass my stumbling of words for nerves.

"I'm gonna put my hand back around your waist. Is that okay?" He ran a hand through his hair, "Just because if they see us together as a united front, they won't try anything with you."