「9; a girlfriend, not a gay bestfriend」

Sooyun was right.

To say their father's bottled up anger exploded on Jungkook would be a perfect description of what happened.

Well, at least now it's over with, Jungkook figures.

Though, if he was to say that he wasn't affected by his father screaming at him, it would be a lie.

Yeah, Jungkook likes to try to piss Hyunwoo off by throwing parties and getting tattoos, but he still has a big influence on him. The biggest influence. And getting scolded that harshly made him feel some sort of shame.

He was dragged to apologize to Jimin and it surprised him that Jimin tried to defend him. Not that Jungkook showed that physically. And Monday at school Jimin looked happy. Not that Jungkook was looking for him to see how he was.

His father is still mad at him. Or, better yet, he's disappointed. For some reason that's worse.

Jungkook kind of regrets ever trying to anger him. Now he misses his father's happy, kind self that asks him about his day and wants to listen to him playing guitar.

Once again, his sister was right. Maybe he was immature. Is. Is immature.

"Tae, do you think I'm immature?" Jungkook asks Taehyung who's currently trying to get a small stain off his motorcycle.

He looks up at Jungkook's words with an enthusiastic grin, "I'm so glad you asked, dude! I have voluntarily written a speech for this day- Ow!"

Jungkook cuts him off with a harsh punch to his upper arm, which Taehyung is now holding with a pained expression.

"Just answer the question, idiot," Jungkook huffs after Taehyung has punched him back.

"Is this about your appa lashing out?" Taehyung questions knowingly, "Have you finally realized that being happy actually isn't a crime?"

Jungkook frowns, "So you think I'm immature?"

"That part of you is. And your mindset about other people," Taehyung points out, "You don't even let people try to get to know you."

    Taehyung straightens up and leans on the bike as he turns to Jungkook, "Like, what? You're gonna live through me and your family all your life? You're gonna watch your appa get married and eventually Sooyun, hopefully to me. Do you not want that for yourself? You're gonna live alone in a big house with a cat or something? You don't even like cats. You seriously need to get over whatever fear you have," he shakes his head, turning back to his bike.

Jungkook's frown deepens, "I'm not afraid, just- I just...-"

"It's fine, Jungkook. You don't have to explain anything to me if you don't feel like you can be honest about it. Just think about it, yeah?" Taehyung cuts Jungkook's untruthful words off, still focused on his bike.

Jungkook slumps back against the wall he's leaning on, fishing up the pack of cigarettes from his jacket pocket.

Is he afraid?

No, afraid isn't it. He isn't scared of making new friends. He just has a hard time trusting people enough to reach that stage.

He knows how they can be. They can be fucking heartless. They can also involve too much heart and come to regret it later.

It's reckless to put your trust into another human being. You never know what's really going on in their head. You never know what their intentions are and if they really care.

That's what his childhood has taught him. Elementary school and high school. His first and only girlfriend. His own mother.

It's Friday morning, almost a week after the incident with Hyunwoo and Jimin and it's freezing cold in Taehyung's garage. Jungkook is wearing a thick sweater under his leather jacket but his fingers still feel like ice. Smoking only helps to a certain point.