Chapter 1:

Kailani walked alone. As she usually did. She ignored the fact that her fellow student were staring at her. She just smiled, confidently back.

She walked outside, to the fresh air and took a deep breath. She had always hated school, and not just because of the bullies and the bystanders. She just hated the feeling of being trapped with a ton of idiots, without fresh air. It was the worst feeling ever.

Kailani had begun to walk home the longer way. Not because she didn't want to go home, just because if she went the longer way she could go near the beach and just because she could. But then...

Kailani looked back as she heard another kid crying. Two of her weekly bullies were standing over the kid. They were just out of sight of the school so they wouldn't get caught. Well, at least by the teachers.

"Hey! Back off!" Kailani said, but to be accurate it was more of a yell. She had a very commanding voice.

"Ha! Why should we?" The bully to the left asked, sarcastically. Kailani had never bothered to learn their names.

"Because if you won't I will make you!" Kailani responded, narrowing her gaze.

"How? Huh? How could you possibly make the two of us move?!" The bully to the right asked challengingly. Kailani looked at the boy on the ground, crumpled up into a bruised, ball.

Kailani raised her fists. They scoffed before following her lead.

This is going to be fun. Kailani thought before the Left bully swung the first punch.

...

The fight was over fairly quick. Kailani did get punched and kicked a couple of times but she had won. The two bullies had eventually ran away after lying on the ground groaning for a few moments. But their victim was still there , on the ground, shaking.

Kailani picked up the kid's bag, which the bullies had left behind in their hasty escape, and held it out to the boy.

He finally looked up, met Kailani's bright cyan gaze for a moment, and took it. He reached and grabbed it slowly at first before quickly getting up and leaving, without a word.

Kailani was used to that. Not a word of thanks, not even a word at all. She picked up her own bag and continued the walk home.

Within a couple of moments she felt someone's gaze on her so she turned to see the boy looking at her. He seemed a bit puzzled, like he wanted to ask a question, but he just stood there before mouthing the words "Thank you" to her before turning and hustling off.

Well at least I got these bruises for something. Kailani thought, with a smile. Then she continued her peaceful walk home.