Chapter 15:

"All your classes today are canceled." Mr. Yamanu said bluntly. Akumu was glad they wouldn't have sit in a classroom with him all day. "Intern." Tilting his head a bit while addressing Alex who was standing a few feet behind him. "You will take the heirs to the library." He said before walking out.

Alex sighed and then turned to them with a forced smile. "Alrighty, let's go to the library!"

The walk to the library was pretty unremarkable. Akumu got to walk in new hallways, memorize what he knew of the layout of the school, see more illusion people in the halls, and talk to his new friends.

"Alex?" A lady who works here, came around the corner and asked. Akumu was pretty sure she was a cook. "We have a little situation in the kitchens..." she was cut off by the sounds of distant yelling and a pan being thrown.

"Oh! Okay. Coming." Alex looked like he was going to run off before he caught sight of them. He slapped his forehead. "Right! Uh... the library is straight ahead! You can't miss it! Big doors, at the end of the hallway!" He instructed before running off. As soon as they couldn't hear his footsteps anymore Kailani turned to them.

"So. I for one, am not going to the library. I wanna find this lab of theirs. Akumu?"

"Y- yeah?" He answered with a voice crack.

"Coming?" Kailani asked, raising an eyebrow.

It was tempting. On one hand, Akumu did want to go to the library, but on the other hand, he really did want to see this lab. I could visit the library after I go with Kailani. And even if that doesn't work out, I can always go another time.

"Yep!" He responded.

"Great!" Kailani grinned at him. "Bye guys!"

"But- but what about- ah, whatever. Just be back soon." Aaron said, unhappily.

"Of course! Everything will be fine! I'm excellent at avoiding people! Plus, even if we do get caught, I can just punch these people a few times and book it! And Akumu would be there too!" Somehow that plan didn't seem to make anyone feel better. Although Nya looked amused.

"Okay, see ya, guys! Meet us at the library when you're done!" Zara called out as they parted ways.

"Overreacting." Kailani said, rolling her eyes with a small smirk.

"Yeah..." Akumu almost tripped "So why exactly do you want to find the lab?" He asked. He thought the idea of finding a magical (or just average) lab in a magical school sounded great. He wanted to know what her motive was.

"I hate the idea of these people we barely know keeping secrets from us. Plus, we're supposed to be mighty and powerful gods or rulers or whatever, they can't keep keeping secrets from us!"

"Hmm. You're right." He replied, thoughtfully.

"Glad you think so because I am!" Kailani said with a crooked grin. Akumu couldn't help but smile back at her iconic crooked smirk.

"So whatcha family like?" Kailani asked a bit more seriously. "Where you from? You got siblings?"

"Uh- well, I'm from Florida, my mama's from Puerto Rico, and my papa's from South Africa. I have one younger sister and an awesome best friend who is like another sister. I would say that we are a nuclear family. But my dad isn't around a lot. He's a traveling photographer. But he spends his whole time home with us." Akumu had a small warm smile on his face, even when talking about his slightly distant father.

"That's real cool, Akumu." Kailani said with a smile. "I live in Hawaii with my uncle and his former boyfriend, now fiancé, Kahuna. They're really great. Plus, they have a boat!" She added ecstatically causing Akumu to laugh.