Chapter 8:

The room Aaron would be staying in for the entirety of the school year was slightly smaller than what he was used to. It was box shaped with wooden floors and a yellow, black, and brown color theme. There was a simple bed, two book shelves, and a large desk. It was odd. It seemed like the room was decorated to fit him and his interests.

Odd. Very odd.

As Aaron unpacked, he couldn't stop thinking. He thought about Amaya promising to text him everything she could figure out from her book, he thought about his parents, he thought about these ancient gods and goddesses who were apparently connected to him and these other random kids, and Kailani kept crossing his mind.

Why? Maybe because she hates you. He answered himself with a smile. Something about her bothered him. Well... bothered wasn't the right word but he would figure it out... eventually.

After he was done packing the majority of his clothes and all the stuff his parents gave him, he headed out. He gently closed the heavy door behind him, as to not disturb anyone.

"Already done unpacking?" Aaron jumped a bit. There she was. Standing in front of her door with her mid-toned arms crossed. Kailani was giving him an unfriendly look. You could also say that she looked a bit tired.

"Yep. I'm now going to explore this place. See what it's about. Maybe discover a few secrets... Care to join?" Aaron asked carefully. He really did want some company.

Kailani opened her mouth, most likely for a witty remark before stopping herself. She closed her mouth, thought for a moment, and decided.

"Ok. I'll go with you. But not because I want to go with you particularly but because I want to do the same thing as you do." She clarified. Aaron smiled a bit and Kailani gave him a look that said "I am already regretting this decision."

"Ok, so where are we going first?" He asked energetically.

"Well, I would like to eventually figure out where this lab is, but we could also go outside." Kailani was visually torn between these two options.

"Eh, we could walk around this gigantic place for a bit then go outside." Aaron suggested.

"Sounds like a plan!" Kailani agreed.

"Do you think we should tell someone we're going?"

"No way! These people don't care where we go! Let's just go and have some fun! I wanna see if I can find anymore servant-like people to mess with!" Kailani said eagerly, tiredness gone. Aaron noticed that she never stopped moving. No matter what, she was always twitching or tapping her finger. Like the ocean, she never stops. The thought intrigued him. Maybe we just figured out what her power is.

They spoke as they walked through the long, sparsely decorated halls. They spoke about many things such as, where they had lived, why this place was weird, and eventually, their friends.

"I don't have many friends. Everyone at my school either ignored me or treated me like crap." Kailani wasn't meeting his gaze as she said that.

"Oh."

Kailani suddenly turned to him with a slightly terrifying smile. "Now don't you dare go pitying me! If you do I swear, I'll-"

"Ok! Ok! I got it! We don't need to get graphic!" Aaron smiled a bit nervously and Kailani laughed.

"I get that you don't come from the same situation. You're a popular boy, rich parents, nice home, very few if any real friends." Kailani explained as if she was an expert.

"How... did you know that?" Aaron was a bit blindsided by her blunt but overall correct statement.

"Oh, believe me, I had a fair share of your type back at my school!" She elbowed him sharply and he laughed. It had actually hurt but he wasn't about to admit that.

"Would you consider me your friend? Even if I'm'that' types?" Aaron didn't want to come of to strong but he was impossibly curious.

Kailani glanced at him to see if he was serious. "Undecided."

"Undecided?"

"Yep."

"Well, ok. But until we are actually friends I'm calling you Kai." Aaron smiled proudly, he was pretty sure she hated his smile. Yep. She sure did.

"Ugh! I guess I'll live." Kai said defeatedly.

"Wonderful!"

"Wonderful." Kai agreed begrudgingly.