Chapter 9:

Nya was sitting on the floor. Well... if you could even call it that. She had her back against the floor and her feet perched up on her bed.

As of this moment, she was messing on her phone, going through her contacts. She hovered over her mother's phone number before blocking it and deleted all the messages shared between them. She blew a lock of their curly, short, brown hair out of their eyes before seeing a notification pop up.

She hesitated before clicking it.

Hey!!! It's Zara!!!

What?! How the heck did you get my phone number?!

Lol! I have my ways! ;)

Ok?
Why are you texting me?
We're literally neighbors

I don't know!
Do you wanna hang out?
I saw Kailani and Aaron leaving together and I'm bored!

Um... sure...

YAY! I'm super excited!!!!!!!!!

Don't go all crazy on me dude

Yes!
Yes!
Of course!
I am completely calm!

I can tell

Suddenly there was a very fast series of knocks on Nya's door. She chuckled a bit before opening her door. Zara dashed past her and plopped down on her bed.

"Uh..." Nya said, avoiding Zara's shining eyes. She wasn't too sure how she felt about Zara, after knowing Nya for less than two hours, sitting in the place where she slept.

"So what should we do? Do you wanna invite Souta and Akumu, too? We could totally go find somewhere with food. I'm starving! Are you? What do you wanna do? Do you
wanna-" Zara started. "Nope! Nope! Nope! Nope!" Nya quickly grabbing Zara's wrist and leading her outside the room.

"Yay! Where're we going, Nye?"

"Nye? Really?" Nya was a bit preoccupied with trying to remember who's room is which... and who Akumu was.

Nya knocked on the door, waited, tapped her foot a few, and knocked again. Souta opened the door and gave them a very surprised look.

What are you- Nya cut him off when she grabbed his wrist, pulled him out the door, and kept walking.

She went two doors over, knocked on that door, released Souta, and grabbed who must have been a protesting Akumu.

Zara seemed to be ecstatic to have so many people to talk to, even when she couldn't understand one of them without Nya's help. Nya didn't mind. They liked seeing Zara happy.

They walked around through the halls, mainly looking for an exit.

Ew, red. Nya thought as they entered the main room where they had all met. They thought it's red walls looked extra ugly at that moment.

"Are we going outside?" Akumu asked hopefully.

"Heck, yeah we are!" Zara yelled opening the door for them.

Even Nya had to admit, the forest surrounding the school looked beautiful. It was a lightly cloudy that late afternoon. The trees were a brighter green than they had ever seen. Granted, Nya had lived in a more... 'dirty' area, if you now what I mean.

Nya now sat on a rock, watching Akumu and Souta communicating through a pad of paper. It was nice, even before Zara walked over and sat next to Nya.

"So," Zara started. This seemed to be the first time she didn't know what to talk about. "You said you're asexual? Have you ever been in a relationship?"

Nya scoffed. "No! And I'm glad I'm asexual, it means I'm not shallow enough to fall for someone based on their appearance!" They said a bit too rudely. Shoot, I just said that to a Pansexual person! "I mean- uh-"

Zara cut her off by laughing. She didn't seem offended, which relieved Nya. "No, silly! Having a crush on someone based off of their appearance doesn't make that person shallow! It just means... well... it's complicated." She explained.

"Yeah, sorry." Nya said rubbing the back of her neck a bit.

"It's fine!" Zara said, with a big, sweet grin.

That was the moment Nya realized she had a crush.

And this is why I am Polyromantic. Nya though, mentally giving themself a forehead slap.