Chapter 13:

I know I keep making Kailani's chapter the first one after every rotation, but it's necessary! Chapter 19 probably won't be from her point of view. Probably.

Mr. Yamanu shoved Alex in front of him. Alex turned back and gave him a questioning look. Mr. Yamanu glared and tilted his head slightly.

Apparently that was an answer because Alex then said "Oh. Ok. Who wants to go first?!" He asked with a crooked, nervous smile.

Kailani sighed and stepped up. "I'll do this stupid test thing, first." She said begrudgingly.
The rest of them looked simultaneously relieved and proud of her.

Well that's good. If I die, I know that they're all proud of me. Yay.

"Ok. Ok. Good." Alex said, hurrying over to Mr. Yamanu, who was holding a foot-wide, square box. He then opened the box and poured out all of it's contents.

Inside the box, were probably around one-hundred crystals, varying in sizes and color. One odd thing about them is that instead of falling and clanging against the ground they all hovered and bobbed mid-air. Another odd thing about them was that they all had a faint glow to them.

"Woah." Kailani breathed out. She couldn't look away from the crystals.

"Wow." Everyone behind Kailani (except Souta) whispered in unison.

"Choose one. Only the heir of one of the great powers will choose the correct one." Alex said, eyes shining.

Kailani stood there for a moment, staring at these glowing gems. She skimmed through them. None of them caught her eye. Then, just when she was going to settle for a blue-white crystal near her she saw it.

The crystal that called to her was smaller than a majority of the others. It was a very dark indigo-blue, that glowed brightly from the center. It was mesmerizing. The crystal itself seemed to be saying, 'pick me! Pick me! I'm special! I'm yours! I will complete you and you will complete me!'

Kailani shook her head a bit.

Crystals CANNOT talk. Not even weird, floaty, glowy, crystals.

Kailani reached out to take it and a second before she touched it the air itself felt like it was full of energy.

Kailani glanced at Mr. Yamanu and Alex, who were both watching intently. I can do this.

She reached out to touch the small crystal, her fingers grazed the glassy surface, and she pulled her hand back like she had been burned. All the other crystals fell to the ground and dimmed.

"OW! WHAT THE HECK?! THAT WAS FREAKING PAINFUL!" Kailani yelled, rubbing her arm rabidly. The feeling that lightning had stabbed straight through her veins in her arm, was still lingering.

She heard multiple concerned questions from the others, including Aaron's.

"Kailani! Are you alright?" He asked, eyes wide. Kailani winced. He sounded so concerned. She had been getting a distant feeling that he saw her as more than a friend and Kailani wasn't sure how she felt about that.

"Yeah. Yeah. I'm alright." She replied, rather unconvincingly.

"Baia." Mr. Yamanu muttered.

"We were right!" Alex cheered before shutting up after he saw Kailani's glare. "S-sorry. We didn't know it would react like that." Alex said, sympathetically as he calming down.

"Yeah." Kailani replied dryly. She reached out and snatched her crystal from the air before trudging back to the others.

At first they all attempted to ask Kailani questions but they eventually quieted down. Kailani still stood in the back rubbing her arm.

"H-how bad did it hurt?" Akumu whispered as Mr. Yamanu and Alex spoke out of earshot from the group. He really did sound scared.

"Oh, um. Not-not that bad." Kailani tried to say with a smile to prove it. Akumu didn't seem convinced. "I've experienced worse." Which wasn't a total lie.

"Well, that's because you're strong. You've gone through rough patches and came out even stronger. I haven't. I'm not like you." Akumu stared down at his feet.

"You don't want to be like me." Kailani said wrapping her good arm around his shoulders. "But, I really did overreact. I just wasn't expecting it."

"Yeah, I could tell." Akumu said. He now had a small smile on his face. Good.

"Who's next?" Alex asked, looking slightly excited to see it again.

...

"That was stupidly painful." A tired Nya said after Mr. Yamanu had collected all of their crystals. He had said that they wouldn't have anymore classes for the day, which made everyone very relieved. It seemed like the zapping from the crystals had taken everything out of them.

"You can say that again..." Said Zara, who was sitting with Nya on the shorter stone wall while leaning on her shoulder with her eyes closed.

Souta and Aaron were trying to communicate but it wasn't doing to well. Aaron had to keep asking Nya about what Souta was saying. Plus, Aaron's worried gaze kept flicking over to Kailani during the conversation.

"Hey," Akumu started, looking down at Kailani's arms with an inquisitive look. "Didn't you have bruises on your arms before?"

"Huh? Oh. Yeah. Woah..." All of her bruises, that she had gained in her past few fights, had seemingly evaporated.

"Any chance they all faded at the same time? Coincidentally, when you touched the magical glowing crystals?" Akumu asked, in a not-actually-hopeful way. Kailani shook her head, not much to Akumu's surprise.

"I guess there's some side effects to this test." Kailani said grimly.