Chapter 4:

"HA!" Zara yelled as she died in the VR game. Game Over flashed on the screen causing her to laugh more.

"Zara? Zara! Don't you have plans or something?!" Zara's mother asked, very loudly.

"Yes! Sorry mum! I'll be going now!" Zara called quickly. She began to scramble around her darker room, taking off her VR set and trying to get her things together while simultaneously knocking many things over. She made sure to pocket her weekly chore money on the way out.

Zara glanced at herself in the mirror, she had chosen a more feminine look today. She smiled.

"Ok, be safe, don't do anything stupid, and if someone picks a fight beat their butt for me, alright?" Zara's mother added with a grin.

"Yes of course mum! I love ya! Bye!" Zara said hurriedly before closing the door and beginning to run down the street. She lived in the city so she was already very close to where they were meeting.

Zara loved the feeling of running through the city. It was an exhilarating feeling for her. It was mid afternoon, ten before four, she was right on time.

"Yo, Zara! Over here!" Rue yelled from across the small park. Rue had very dark, beautiful skin and beautiful blue eyes to match. She was showing off one of her sparkling smiles. Zara and Rue had been friends since... well, as long as either of them could remember.

"Hey Rue! How you doing?"

"Aight. But Luke's has been- no, it's fine, it's fine." Zara gave her a look. Rue began to laugh. "I can't take that face seriously!"

"Rude! And girl, just remember that if he dumps you we will both beat him into Tomorrowland, gotcha?" Zara reminded Rue. After all, Ride or die was the modo of this area.

"Yes. Yes we will!" Rue stated proudly. "If it ever happens." Rue reminded herself. They began walking to the bookstore/cafe. They often went there just to hang out and find some dummy, good books.

As they walked in, the distinct smell of books and coffee instantaneously calmed Zara down some. Then the rows and rows of bookshelves, loaded with magnificent books got her hyper again. This bookstore was arguably her favorite place on earth. Granted, she hasn't been outa her city much but that's besides the point.

"Onward!" Rue said, a bit too loudly for being indoors. They made their way to the right corner of the bookstore, past the cafe in the center, and past the History section. Rue made a beeline for the Action/Adventure area while Zara made her way to Horror.

Everyone Zara knew thought she was weird for loving Horror so much. Well, that and because of the way she plays Hide and Seek. Let's just say she used to have more friends. She had always been loved everything Horror related. She has seen thousands of Horror movies, read even more horror books, and she loved terrifying the crap outa people with her stories. Rue was really the only one who could actually survive Zara's stories. Sometimes they would put on some scary makeup and horrify the a group of boys a couple years older than themselves. Rue was convinced that Zara was going to be a writer one day.

Zara picked up a plain looking book. She had learned that those were often the oldest and the best. After a minute or two more of glancing, she made her way to Rue who had a book under her arm and was talking on her phone to who seemed to be a very stressed mother.

"Sorry Zara, Gotta go. Mom's is having trouble at the fort." Rue said as she put a few books she had pulled out back on the shelf. Zara figured it had something to do with Rue's younger twin brothers.

"It's okay. We'll catch-up later." Zara replied, picking up the final book that had to be put back.

"Thanks! I owe you one!" They payed for their finds and departed outside.

Zara was thinking about school and junk on the way back home. I wonder if we'll ever learn about the Salem Witch Trials in school. She thought absentmindedly.

When Zara reached her home she knew something was different. There wasn't any clanging of her mother doing the dishes or the war drums from her mother's favorite fantasy movie. Only muffled talking.

"Zara is that you? Come over here honey, I would like you to meet someone" Zara eased up as her mother called her name. But who else is here?

Zara turned the corner and entered the living area. There was a tall, proper looking man. Something about him reminded her of her school's principal. She didn't like it.

"Hello, Zara. This is for you." He said in a formal, fake kinda friendly voice while handing her a letter. It had an odd crest on the corner and her name, Zara Grey, in the middle in red ink.

This is like that one magic movie mum likes. The one about the special kid getting a letter to go to a magic school. The thought amused her.

Turns out, she wasn't that far off.