16. separation

Kuroo's POV

Kenma and I left the train and we were now walking in the direction of the Spring Tournament. "I'll probably move away for school. But that's still a couple months from now. I just think we just use this time, and our break, to really spend as much time together as we possibly can. Okay?" I told Kenma. There was no reply from him, so I looked down. He had a hand placed over his face. I knew that he was really sad from what I had said, so I grabbed him and we walked into a park nearby. "I'm sorry," I started, "I had to say something about it sometime soon." I told him while moving his hand away from his face.

His eyes were watery and his face was red. "I'm sorry." I said and hugged him tightly, pulling his head to my chest. He hugged back and pressed his head further into me, probably trying to prevent himself from crying. He then proceeded to punch my side multiple times. "Ow, I know, I know, I'm sorry." I repeated. "Shut up Kuro- you're making it worse." He mumbled. "Okay." I replied.

He calmed down after a few more minutes and we decided to sit on a bench. I knew he was still sad about the idea of me leaving. And I was too, he just took it harder than me. "I'll come over to your house every single day and make you breakfast. And then I'll take you out on a date every day after school." I compromised. Kenma shook his head and leaned on my shoulder. "That's too many dates." He said. I smiled and kissed his forehead. "Whatever you say." I said and rubbed his back.

"You're not dying, so this isn't our last chance." He pointed out. "Yes that's true, but it's our last chance for a while." I said. He sighed. "I know, let's just do as much as we can together okay?" I added. He nodded. "Great. Should we get going?" I wondered. Kenma nodded again and we stood up, heading towards the Tokyo Gymnasium.

Kenma's POV

We entered the gym and found Shoyo's team warming up, opposite to the team that they were playing. They looked like they would be a tricky team to play against. But I had a lot of faith in Shoyo and his teammates because their previous performances proved they had a chance to win this whole thing. I felt my nerves increase as I watched the other team prepare. They were all huge, they all were easily around Kuroo's height. A few of them were almost as tall as Lev too. "They're going to be tricky to play against." Kuroo said as he read my mind.

"But Tsukki will pull through, like he always does, and block those scary spikes." Kuroo said with a confident grin on his face. It seemed like he had a lot of faith in Tsukishima, one of the first years on Karasuno. "Are you sure about that?" I said, Kuroo gave me an annoyed look. We both looked back down at the court and witnessed one of the massive players on the opposite team smash a ball onto the ground like he had super strength. I looked back up at Kuroo. "Could you block one of those?" I asked him.

I watched his facial expression change slightly; into more of a stressed look. "Yeah probably a couple... before my hands break off." He blinked, I squinted at  him. "A second ago you said that the tall guy on Karasuno could block-" "I have full confidence in Tsukki." Kuroo interrupted me and leaned back in his chair while crossing his arms. "Why do you like him so much?" I asked with amusement. He opened one eye at me. "He has a lot of potential. He's also a lot like you too, neither of you are motivated to play this game for fun." He pointed out.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I squinted. "I guess I like to motivate people who aren't motivated." He shrugged. "You're not allowed to compare me to an asshole first year who's full of himself though." I scoffed. "I don't think he's full of himself actually. He always seems to compare himself to people and he gets really frustrated at himself a lot too. He gives up easily, unless he sets a goal that he thinks he can achieve. It's like he has a superiority and an inferiority complex at the same time." He told me.

"Wow you're really observant about him." I said with a surprised tone. "It's like that with you too." Kuroo leaned towards me and grinned. "What's with the flirty tone?" I pushed his face back and turned away. "Are you jealous kitten?" He whispered into my ear as he took my hand away from his face. I felt my body freeze and I blinked a couple times- trying to process the situation. "We're in a public place right now." I whispered. "Yeah so? You're the only one who's making it weird." Kuroo giggled.

I was just about to punch a hole through his face before we were interrupted by a familiar voice. "Hey, hey, hey!" Bokuto said as he waved at us. Kuroo rolled his eyes. "Bokuto- do you really have to say that every time you greet someone?" Kuroo wondered. Bokuto thought for a couple moments with his hand on his chin. "I like it though." He replied. Akaashi walked up behind Bokuto. "Akaashi-kun, don't you get annoyed when Bokuto says 'hey' a bunch whenever he greets you?" Kuroo asked Keiji.

He had a blank stare. "I think at this point- it's been drowned out by all the other annoying things he does." He said. Kuroo laughed. "Akaashiiiiiiiii." Bokuto whined with a frown on his face. Sometimes I wondered how Bokuto could be so animated. Keiji patted Bokuto on the back. "It's okay Bokuto-san, it's what I like about you." He stated. Bokuto's face lit up and Kuroo scoffed. "I should've guessed that you'd take his side in the end Akaashi." Kuroo said. Keiji raised an eyebrow. "Well I'm no traitor Kuroo-san, I can't let you bully my boyfriend." He grinned. I started giggling because of the tense vibe between my two friends.

Eventually, everything settled down and we all sat together, watching the game in front of us. Kuroo seemed slightly stressed, and I assume that it was on Tsukishima's behalf. So I grabbed his hand and intertwined our fingers together. Kuroo looked down and me and smiled. The whole game, Kuroo was speaking with Bokuto and aggressively reacting what he was seeing in every given moment. And even though it was loud and obnoxious, decided to lay my head against him and listen to the commotion carefully so that when we'd get home he could talk about it and I'd know what he was referring to.

Kuroo always wanted to know what I thought about these games and if I ever had an opposing opinion. But since I'm not one to state my opinion in front of others, we'd usually hold debates at our houses after school or whenever we get the chance to be alone. It meant a lot to me, knowing that Kuroo thinks my opinion is valid. Even if we don't always have the same opinion, he's always considered and valued mine. That's not something you can usually get out of some people. It could be because were childhood friends or whatever but I'm starting to think that (besides the whole dating thing) our connection is deeper than that.

If Kuroo is really willing to spend all this time with a person like me, than he's someone that I find myself always wanting nearby. I really do love him a lot and I don't know how I'm supposed to attend high school with out him next year. Being with Kuroo at Nekoma for the past two years has really meant a lot to me, especially because we're dating now. I guess it's just hard for me to imagine Nekoma without him. I want him to stay next to me forever.

————————
hey guys! (omg there's a lot of you now) I think this story is almost at 10k reads!! thank you guys for all the support!

sorry it's been so long, I really do have ideas for this story so more parts are coming! I like re-reading the chapters a couple times every few days before releasing so I can clearly get the point across- and that's basically what takes these chapters so long to come out.

I hope you enjoyed today's chapter and I love all the comments and reactions to everything that's going on for Kuroo and Kenma (and everyone else as well).

stay tuned for the next chapter :)

-kate