4. a bet

Set two - Sarukawa vs Nekoma

Kuroo's POV

We were already halfway through the second set against Sarukawa, and I must say, I was kinda enjoying it. Meaning, we were in the lead from winning the first set and being 7 points ahead of them. After Kenma had told me that he actually wanted to play volleyball earlier, I had been in a good mood since. The guys on Sarukawa were decent players and were an okay as an opponent, but as I predicted earlier, I knew we'd be okay without Kenma. But if he was here with us on the court right now, I know that we'd be absolutely destroying them.

Our coach reminded us of what kind of game that Sarukawa was going to play with us and it made me feel slightly unsettled. Their game plan is to target their opponents directly, and overwhelm us individually to soon make us break. The thing that scared me the most was when my coach said that they really liked targeting the setter. I knew that they wouldn't be able to crack Kenma, but since we didn't have Kenma I was seriously worried. I didn't want our fill-in to break down during this game. But, it turns out that we do pretty well while under pressure.

Without Kenma here, we're essentially a different team. Sarukawa was definitely not expecting it, and I assume that they based all their plans on previous knowledge of our team when Kenma was around. In a way, it's not too bad that Kenma isn't on because otherwise, Sarukawa would know everything about us. So we might have a slight advantage. I hope Kenma can't hear my thoughts right now.

Kenma's POV

I know exactly what Kuroo is thinking. And somehow, I think that I agree with him. Watching him get extremely happy whenever they score a point, makes me think back to whenever they score a point when I'm around. Of course they are happy, but not this happy. This makes me realize even more that- when I'm around, they have a lot of faith in me. They need me to be there always supporting them. So when they score, it's not as unexpected as it is now. It's flattering almost. And it's making me want to play more.

Kuroo was on fire today. I think this might be the first time he's tried really hard at a tournament. Don't get me wrong, Kuroo works very hard for Nekoma, but today you can really see the sweat dripping down his face. Every once in a while, he fixes his hair, probably because it's all sticky. Right when he brushes it back, I get a glimpse of his face and holyfuckingshit he looks so hot. I don't think I've ever watched Kuroo play a game at a tournament before. I'm normally so focused on the game that I only really think of him as a way to score a point. Now that I'm standing up in the bleachers watching him from a distance, I can really take in his stunning beauty.

I couldn't take my eyes off of him. I guess I never realized before but red suited him so much. And those shorts fitted his ass so perfectly. It didn't make sense. His legs were so defined and muscular, but not too much. How on fucking earth does a guy like this get to exist, and he's my best friend. Watching him being passionate about something is so... sexy... I kinda just want to-

"Kenma!" I heard someone say behind me. I turned around and saw Shoyo walk up to me with his teammates, Nishinoya and Tanaka. I quickly stood up straight from my leaning position before, and greeted them. "How was your game?" I wondered, as they stood next to me, watching the game. "We won! We're heading to the next round and we came to see who we'd be up against next." Shoyo replies, while wrapping his arms around Nishioya and Tanaka. "Yeah it was a tough game, but we pushed through!" Nishinoya smiled. "Yeah! Hinata got us like eight points with that crazy quick attack. I hate to say this, but he totally saved our game." Tanaka snickered.

"Oi! He's not the only person who's apart of that quick attack." We turned and saw Kageyama crossing his arms behind us. "Kageyama, you already know that I can't do it without you, so stop getting jealous that I get all the credit." Shoyo gave him a vile smirk. "ME? JEALOUS? HOW WOULD I BE JEALOUS OF YOU YOU DUMBASS?!" Kageyama yelled. Shoyo ran up to him and like always, they started arguing over nothing. It made me laugh a little when Tanaka ran up to them and attempted to break it up like always. What made me laugh even more is when I realized that Shoyo told me the other day that he liked Kageyama, and he thinks that Kageyama feels the same.

"So did you guys take the first set?" Nishinoya said to me. "Uh yeah, I'm pretty sure we can win this game." I nodded. "That's good, cause you deserve to play another game. I'm really excited to play against you guys again too! Oh, and plus, with you on the team, Nekoma is pretty much unstoppable. You're their powerhouse." Nishinoya complimented me. "Oh, uh thanks." I blushed. "You're a second year, right?" He wondered. "Yeah, aren't you as well?" I replied. "Mhm." He nodded. "I know we've met before but, I'm Yu." He smiled and held out his hand. I shook it. "I think we'd get along and I really want to learn more about setting, especially from you, so wanna be friends?" He wondered. "That'd be nice." I nodded. "You can call me Noya, cause that's what all the guys call me." He told me. "Okay." I replied.

"Noya! Let's go, we have a team meeting!" Tanaka called from behind us. "I'll see you around Kenma!" He waved and caught up to Tanaka. Yu seemed like a seriously nice guy. No one has been randomly that kind to me since Shoyo first met me. I can see why they get along, they're practically the same person. I looked back down at the game and the score was 23-15 with Nekoma in the lead. I looked back over to Kuroo and he was already looking up at me. I waved at him and he smirked. He looked so good right now. And I wish I could tell him that. It only took about another minute for Nekoma to win the game. They all grouped up and jumped around in excitement. I stood there with a wide smile on my face. They all looked up at me and I made a heart shape out of my hands.

It was time to go back down to regroup with my team, so I took the long way to avoid any social interaction. It was a quiet stairwell that I feel like no one knows about so I wouldn't have to deal with everyone asking about my absence. As I opened the doors to the stairwell I instantly regretted my decision. There was Shoyo and Tobio making out right in front of me. Tobio had Shoyo pinned against the wall and they were just at it, like they weren't in the middle of a fucking boys volleyball tournament. Kageyama immediately stood away from Hinata and they both turned more red than the surface of the sun. "I- am so incredibly sorry." I said and stepped back, exiting the stairwell and turning the opposite direction.

As I heard the doors close behind me, I immediately covered my mouth in complete and utter surprise. I literally didn't know what to think. I started smiling so much that laughter had spilled from my mouth. "What's so funny?" I heard Kuroo say from in front of me. He looked so curious to what I had just seen in the stairwell, so he started to walk towards it. "NO KURO, DONT." I said, wanting to laugh a little harder. "What did you see?" He smiled. "I'll tell you in a second, let's just go the other way. Please!" I said, trying to keep myself together. I grabbed his hand and pulled him away from the stairwell.

"Why were you up here anyway?" I asked, trying to get my mind off of what I just saw. "I was looking for you, of course." He said. "I was almost going to come down, but I was delayed." I said, slightly giggling. Kuroo stopped me. "Okay, we're far enough, what on earth did you see?" He asked me. I looked around for people. "Okay so, you know how I told you Shoyo had a thing for Kageyama?" I said, starting to pace around. "Oh god, what is it?? Spill it Kenma!" Kuroo stopped me and held my shoulders. I knew Kuroo keeps everything I tell him to himself. So it was safe to tell him, because he's not the guy to break someone's trust, especially mine.

"Kageyama totally just had Shoyo up against the wall, they were practically eating each other's faces." I exaggerated. "I KNEW this would happen!" Kuroo shouted. I quickly covered his mouth. "Sh!! You're so loud." I told him. "You owe me money now kitten!" He laughed like some sort of evil villain. "I should be getting bonus points too! We're literally at Nationals!" He laughed, making me smile. "I know, I know. I'll buy you ramen." I rolled my eyes. I basically tell Kuroo everything... except you know what. So a little while back, when Shoyo told me about his little crush on Tobio, I told Kuroo straight away. We made a bet on how long it would take for them to be together (in any way). Kuroo guessed that it'd be in the next couple of months, and I guessed that I'd happen next year. Oh boy was I wrong.

"Oh, so are you going to take me on a ramen date kitten?" Kuroo teased. I punched him in the arm and started to walk towards the exit. I wanted that so badly though, but I knew it wouldn't happen. I didn't know what I was still doing, having this huge crush on someone I wasn't able to be with was so bad for me. I wish I knew how to lose feelings for someone. But having a crush on someone for over 4 years isn't just a crush. You're full on in LOVE with that person.  So does anyone know a way to fall out of love with someone?