Chapter 3 - How It All Began

Arguments quickly break out among the Avengers. Everyone tries to speak at once with raised voices and irritated eye rolls. Still coasting on the irritation you had bled from Tony earlier, their arguing digs into your nerves and sets you on edge. But a copper-headed woman quickly intervenes. You hadn't seen her enter the room among the chaos. But with a gentle whisper in your ear, she introduces herself as Pepper and pulls you from the mess as Tony and the others continue to bicker about your inexperience.

"You can't feed her to him," Natasha's voice echoes as Pepper leads you out of the living room. "He'll eat her alive. Look at her!"

"We don't know her yet, Nat," Steve scolds. "We shouldn't be so quick to judge."

The voices fade as Pepper guides you down one of the long hallways past the first few doors until she stops in front of one, and it slides open automatically as you approach. Pepper nods, encouraging you to explore. So you take a step inside and are astounded by the size - and the luxury - of the room. It's like no bedroom you've ever seen before. The design is a sleek mix of tech and comfort as the grey mahogany floors reflect the lights from the ceiling. The bed in the back is massive, draped in silvers and dark greys with a bench at the end covered in folded blankets and throw pillows. The giant windows to the right overlook the ocean, and even further, the city. Each are framed by soft, white curtains that hang from their rods and fall to the floor, pooling in soft puddles.

"This is...mine?" you question in disbelief.

"Of course," Pepper smiles, gesturing to the dresser against the far wall. "Take a look."

Intrigued, you reach for the middle drawer and pull it open to find it full of clothes. Pepper laughs at the look of confusion on your face as you pull out a t-shirt in your size.

"We've been prepared for your arrival for several weeks now, so there should be plenty of clothes in your size in the drawers. And the shower is through there. If there's anything else you can think of that you need, don't hesitate to let Tony or I know, okay?"

You give the copper-headed woman named Pepper a small smile and thank her for her kindness. She turns, leaving you in your new quarters. Finally alone, you're not quite sure what to do next. You glance toward the bedroom door, wondering if you should go back to the common area. Back to the bickering. Any other day, you wouldn't have allowed Pepper to pull you quite so easily from the arguing. You would have stood your ground, and argued right back. 

Because Natasha was wrong. 

After your rescue, you learned it had been three years. Three years you had spent with HYDRA being turned into their "perfect weapon". They built you to be strong. Resiliant. But Phil? Phil taught you control. 

You don't know who this Loki is, but how bad can he be? You're ready to face whatever he can throw at you.

Determined, you take a step toward the door. But your resolve wavers as you think of Phil. And as the taste of dirt and the grit between your teeth remind you of what not only you, but the whole of New York City has been through over the past day. And if Tony's irritation is anything to go by, no one in that living room is going to be in a cooperative mood. Especially if you all still smell like alien blood and sweat. 

You abandon your bedroom door, instead drawn to the promise of the warm water and scented soaps that hide behind your bathroom door. And you're not disappointed. Stark Tower has not only provided you with a bathroom, but a wetroom, complete with a bathtub inside of a giant, glass shower. Tempted, you ultimately turn on the shower and leave the bathtub alone - eager to simply get rid of the remnants of the day. Jets of water flow down your body, caressing every inch of skin. Finally, the dirt and gravel left over from the ravaged city streets fall from your hair, and the dust washes off your skin.