Chapter 10 - An Evening Visit

"My Lady...?"

You toss in your bed, fighting to come out of sleep as a voice calls your name in the distance. But after so many days without, your body stubbornly clings to the rest you have finally managed to find. Confused, caught somewhere between a dream and awake, you push against your heavy eyelids, trying desperately to open them as that voice continues to call out for you in a whisper, getting closer. 

"Lady Y/n?"

A warm hand on your shoulder sends you tumbling straight into a trench of memory. Pretty, dark hair with a slight curl is matted with sweat and blood. Snapping jaws drip foam into the dirt. An axe lodges between ribs, earning a high pitched whine, and a low howl. 

Gasping, you shoot up in bed, lashing out at the figure hovering over you, striking with every fiber of sleepy strength in your body. You're desperate to get away as a large hand grabs your wrist, and the memories keep coming. A torn blouse. Blood. Light in the distance. Go! Run!

Panicked, your training with Steve kicks in. You roll your body, lifting your legs and wrapping them around the intruder's neck pulling them down onto the bed and pinning them beneath you.

"Lady Y/n, it is I! Cease your fighting!"

"Thor?" you pant, relieved. 

You wrench your wrist from his grasp and scramble from atop him. Once away, your mind clears quickly, erasing the panic and leaving only irritation.

"Gods, Thor! Didn't they teach you not to sneak into a girl's room at God school? What the hell is wrong with you?"

You collapse onto your back as the lingering adrenaline leave your body tingling. In the darkness, you and Thor lay side-by-side in silence, both catching your breath. After a moment, Thor lets out a quiet laugh.

"I must say my lady, no intruder is going to catch you unawares and live to tell the tale. I feel quite certain!"

You reach over and punch the God's arm. Your fist makes contact with his bare skin. He must not be in his armor. 

"You're lucky I didn't break your neck, you psycho," you grumble. 

Thor lets out a throaty laugh. "I was in no danger, I assure you," he boasts.

"I put you in a chokehold," you frown, staring up at the dark ceiling. 

"I allowed you to put me in such a position, my lady," Thor whispers from your side. "As I could tell you were not yet awake. And did not wish you to harm yourself."

"Gee, what a gentleman," you grumble, rolling your eyes as you sit up and stand from the bed, extending your hand down to Thor. He laughs at your thoughtful gesture and doesn't hesitate in taking it. Despite that skin-crawling urge to dive back into his memories, you smile. He's the only one who never hesitates to touch you. 

"JARVIS, lights on half, please," you ask.

As the lights glow brighter, you see that you were right. Thor is no longer in his standard silver armor. He has traded it for a normal t-shirt and jeans, and has his hair pulled back into a low ponytail. It suits him. He looks relaxed - and the cuts and bruises on his face have fully healed. 

"So, why are you here at...2:30 in the morning?" you ask, glancing at the clock on the side table.

"I received word you had called for me. So I came."

You blink. "I'll be damned," you muse, casting him a curious glance.

"Is there something wrong?" he asks.

"No I just," you look at him incredulously. "I just can't believe it worked! You heard me? I could have sworn Tony was bullshitting me."

Thor lets out a boisterous laugh, one that's likely a little too loud for Nat sleeping in her quarters just next door.