Chapter 21 - Secrets

You spend the next several days in much the same fashion. Weapons training in the morning with Natasha, followed by lunch, then combat training in the afternoon with either Steve or Tony. You end each evening with dinner in Loki's quarters, outside of his locked door. While he hasn't spoken since pizza night, he has routinely started coming to the door and sitting on the other side during each of your visits. 

You would eagerly tell him about your day, sharing both the exciting and boring parts. And each time you'd be sure to leave enough food for a meal or two, usually finding empty plates or empty boxes in the kitchen the next evening. 

It provides some relief, knowing he eats what you leave. But you can't help but feel a twinge of frustration that Loki is still completely shutting you out. As you push a few leftover pieces of fruit around your breakfast plate, you wonder if there's anything else you can do to get him to open that damn door - short of having Tony blast it open for you. He'd probably enjoy doing that, come to think of it.

"Look alive, squirt. I have a job for you."

Speak of the devil.

You glance up from your breakfast to spot Tony's Iron Man suit float in through the entryway. Excitement ripples through your chest.

"A mission?!" you ask eagerly, leaping to your feet, breakfast forgotten.

"Yup," Tony says, his voice metallic as it filters through his faceplate. "Get down to the lab. 5 minutes."

"Wait," you say, noticing how strangely stiff the suit is - and the fact that it's the Mark III. Tony hasn't used the Mark III in weeks. "Are you actually in there?" you ask, remembering how a few days ago Tony's suit had been flying around on its own as Tony tested a new feature.

"Nope," Tony answers. "Now get down to the lab."

Tony's suit turns to fly off - you're not sure where, since you're pretty certain the elevator and stairwell are the only ways off the floor. But it doesn't matter. What does matter is that you've just been invited to your first mission.

Your first mission.

"W-wait!" you shout as the suit disappears around the corner. "What do I need?!"

"Just get down to the lab!" he calls back through his suit from somewhere far away.

Giddy with excitement - and anxiety - you run to your room to change out of your pajamas and into your tacsuit. You double check your utility belt and sprint to the elevators, making it down to the lab to find it...dark. And empty.

"Uh, Tony?" you call out. "Hey, I'm here...where are you?"

Confused, you wander into the lab. The moment you step past the glass doors the lights flicker on, and the whir of machinery kicks up.

"Tony?" you call out again.

"Good morning, miss," JARVIS says.

"Oh, uh, hi," you say, glancing up at the ceiling. "Where's Tony?"

"He's out on assignment, miss," JARVIS answers. "I have been instructed to direct you to the center podium."

"Center podium?" you question, glancing around the eerily quiet lab. Without Tony's blaring rock music and the standard stream of curses he lets out when working on new projects, it feels...dead. But as you inventory the lab, you don't see a central podium. "I don't know what you're talking about," you frown.

"Here, miss," JARVIS says as in the center of the lab a small, circular platform raises out of the ground, surrounded by a ring of blue light. "Please step on," he instructs.