Chapter 31 - Et Tu?

"234 Southeast, 14 meters ahead. Two tangos."

"Copy," you reply quietly. Drawing your sidearm, you round the corner, quickly firing two silenced shots and downing the two HYDRA agents patrolling the corridor. You wince as their bodies hit the floor. 

Calm down. It's just a sedative, you think to yourself, hands shaking slightly. 

"Where to next, Tony?" you ask. 

"Give me a minute, JARVIS is having connection issues."

"A connection issue?" you scoff. "Really, Tony? Right now?" 

"Relax," Tony grumbles. "Even Jesus finds himself short a few fish now and then."

"Did you really just compare yourself to God?" you frown.

"Tell me I'm that far off," Tony mumbles absentmindedly. "J, how we doin'?"

"Apologies, sir. The underground nature of the compound has limited my receptors. Standby."

"Ridiculous," you mumble. "Whatever. Nat? How are we looking? Any trouble?"

"Hallway clear. You can stay there until Jesus Junior over here gets his signal back," Natasha says, the smirk on her face audible over comms.

Tony makes a noise of incredulity, but you interrupt his half-hearted squawk of indignance. "Steve?" you question. "Status?"

"Set."

"Tony, I need those directions," you huff. "I'm a sitting duck out here."

"I'm working on it, Squirt," Tony grumbles. 

Groaning in quiet exasperation, you keep yourself pressed to the wall, your gaze flitting up to the security camera mounted down the hall. Anxiety tumbles around your stomach, but you take a deep breath knowing Natasha has looped the cameras. All security sees is an empty hall. 

Still, you're pretty exposed. And the two unconscious bodies in the hall don't help.

"Nat, I'm moving," you whisper. "Gotta clean up."

"You're clear," she replies.

You stay low to the ground, dragging the two bodies into a small closet nearby. It takes some muscle to get both fully grown men shoved into the tiny room, but your training has helped to bulk up your upper body strength. You make a mental note to thank Steve for the lifting sessions later. 

"Sir," Jarvis's voice comes through the comms. "I have reestablished a connection with the facility."

"About damn time," Tony grumbles. "Let's see...all right. Yep. Okay Squirt, you should be right there. Second hall on the right. First door on the left. I have one life sign. Should be May."

"Copy."

You make your move, dashing down the exposed hallway. But Tony's intel is good. No one else is in the immediate area. Ducking into the second hall, you slowly turn the knob on the first door to the left and peek inside. Strapped to a chair in the dark is a woman with long, dark hair.

May.

"I've got eyes on her," you say.

"Good. Cap, you're up."

"Copy," says Steve over the earpiece. You slink inside the room, but May doesn't notice. She's either recently dead, or passed out. 

After what feels like an hour, you hear a hand on the door. Your adrenaline pounds in your ears and you lift your weapon, ready to fire until you hear Steve's voice over the earpiece.