*Chapter 28 - Bra Straps*

"Morning, squirt," mumbles Tony as he carries a mug of coffee into his office, slamming the door behind him.

"Uh...yeah. Morning to you too," you shoot back as you hobble across the lab, casting a confused glance through the big windows of Tony's office. He makes his way across the small room before collapsing in his chair, and putting his head down on the edge of the desk.

You've always wondered what the point of having giant floor-to-ceiling windows as walls is in a private office. You can see right through them. 

"What's with him?" you ask Bruce.

Bruce looks back over his shoulder at you, shrugging. But he does a double take when his eyes find yours. "I should be asking what's with you," Bruce responds, looking at you strangely.

"What? What do you mean?" you ask, taken aback by his question.

"Are you feeling okay?" he asks.

"Yeah, Banner. I'm fine? Why?"

"Oh, okay, well...I don't know, you seem...flustered?"

You catch your reflection in a large, metal piece sitting on the workbench. And Bruce is right. Fresh from your encounter with Loki, your eyes are still waterlogged and your hair is a mess. 

"Oh...yeah I, uh. I overslept and so I just rolled out of bed and came straight here. Sorry about that," you answer nervously, raking your fingers through your hair.

"Okay, well, no problem. You're here, that's what matters," Bruce says, offering you a genuine smile. "So - how's the ankle? Ready to get rid of those crutches?"

"Yes please," you groan, holding them out to Banner.

"Can you put weight on it yet?" he asks, taking them from you.

You hesitantly put your injured ankle down, and slowly put weight on it. It's tight, and uncomfortable, but to your relief, you can walk.

"Okay, that's great!" says Bruce. "But don't take it too fast. You're already healing much faster than I anticipated. Here," he holds out a small ankle brace and a compression sock. "Wear these for a few days and then hopefully you should be back to normal."

You slide on the sock and brace and take a few tentative steps. To your relief, there's almost no discomfort at all. 

"Thanks Banner! This is much better."

You're relieved to get rid of the crutches, your arms were getting sore after having used them for about a week.

"Well, shall we get started?" he asks.

You glance over to the workbench, and see that spread out across it are a myriad of books, tools, medicines and other strange organic plants - along with what looks like dirt.

"Why do I have a bad feeling that I'll be eating some of these things?" you sigh.

Bruce laughs as you pull up a chair, and he begins to lecture.

---

"So what's your homework?" Bruce asks as you roll your tongue around your mouth with a grimace, desperately trying to get the remnants of the bitter dandelion root out of your mouth.

"Memorize the 27 naturally growing water weeds that can stop bleeding and act as natural antibiotics," you recite, bored.

"Good. Great first day! You might just be a natural!"

The tips of your ears warm with his praise. You had never been a top student - not because you weren't smart, but because you were usually too distracted with other things while at school. Things like, figuring out where your next meal was coming from.