part 16: fun sponge

Cook stood in the alley, grinning that stupid grin of his. 

"I've come to break you out, princess, now let me up, will you?" he said.

"James Cook," I said, shaking my head in astonishment. "Wait one second."

I ran back in my room, and fell to my knees in front of my bed, sweeping the clothes and shoes away from it to grab the thing I knew was under there. 

I ran back to the window, and untangled the ladder from the bag it was kept in. 

Cook stared at me in awe. "You've done this before, haven't you?" he said as I dropped the ladder down to him.

"Of course," I said, winking. 

He shook his head, climbing up the ladder, and he grabbed my hand that was waiting for him at the top. I pulled him in, and he fell on top of me. 

"Shit," I groaned, as his heavy body fell on me. "Jesus, James, you weigh a ton."

"Muscle weighs a lot, babes," he said, rolling off me. 

He stood up, and offered me a hand. I reached for it, but at the last second, he pulled back.

"You're a dick," I groaned, slumping back on the ground. 

"You know you love it," he said, walking over to my speaker, plugging my iPod into it, and pressing shuffle. He then turned it up almost all the way.

I propped myself up on my arms and gave him a questioning look. 

"Your dad's downstairs, right?" he answered.

"You're pretty smart, Cook," I said, realizing what I had said before it came out of my mouth. "No, no, wait, I take it back, I take it back! Not the smart part, though, the other part."

I could see him sulking in the corner, his back hunched over my desk. 

He turned his head to look at me, and I got up and walked over to to him. I pouted, puffing out my bottom lip.

"Come on, James, don't be mad," I said, looking at him pleadingly. I cupped his face in my hand, and tried to get a reaction out of him.

I could see him fighting a smile, and he turned his head away so I wouldn't see.

"James, you love me, don't fight it, you know you do," I said, turning his face back towards mine.

"Yeah, yeah, you know I do," he said, unable to contain the smile that had been fighting to stretch across his face. 

I smiled, and brought his lips to mine. He was quick to respond, opening his mouth up to mine, and slipping his tongue in between my lips. I was about to deepen the kiss, when he pulled his head away from mine and pressed our foreheads together.

"Princess," he started to say, then stopped. He looked nervous, biting his lip.

"What, what's wrong James?" I said, concerned.

He said quickly, "I haven't shagged anyone else since you, you know." 

"What?" I asked, confused as to whether I heard him right.

"I popped Panda after Fred's party, but that was the last time," he said. "Remember I had a black eye the day after?"

I nodded, and he continued. "Her fucking boyfriend slugged me right in the face."

"So I was right," I said. "You did sleep with the wrong guy's girlfriend."

"Yeah, I guess I did," he laughs at the memory.