part 22: maggot

I was woken up in the middle of the night by light shining into the tent, and a cold indent where Cook used to be. I sat up, rubbing my eyes, and realized that the tent was unzipped, and Cook was gone. I looked around in confusion. 

Where did he go? 

He's been gone for a while, his sleeping bag is cold. I pull on Cook's sweater, which he left in the tent, and padded outside, shoving my beat up converse on my feet. Everyone was asleep; Katie was passed out next to the fire with JJ, and I assumed everyone else was in their tents. I couldn't see Cook anywhere.

I walked a little past the camp, stepping on the rocks across the small stream near our campground, the only light I had to illuminate the landscape being the flashlight on my phone. I heard voices ahead, near a small rocky outcrop, and I peeked my head around to see.

It was Cook and Pandora, arguing. I couldn't tell what about, because I couldn't make out their voices clearly. Pandora stepped closer to Cook, lowering her voice, and looking at him pleadingly, then raised her face up to his and kissed him. 

I pulled back, I couldn't watch any more of it. 

I was in shock, I couldn't formulate a single thought except for

Panda kissed Cook.

Panda kissed my Cook.

This overwhelmed my brain as I walked slowly back to my tent, slipping off my converse and ducking in. I noticed I was still wearing his sweater. I couldn't bear to take it off, and looking at it, all my emotions came back to me. I cried, sobbed my heart out into his sweater, and into my sleeping bag pillow, until I heard him come back into the tent.

I pretended to be asleep, as he slipped back into his sleeping bag and placed an arm around me. 

I stiffened, then instantly relaxed, scared he would notice. For the rest of the night, I lay awake, listening to the breaths of the boy I loved sleeping next to me. The boy I still loved. My heart cracked more with every breath he took.

I finally fell asleep as the sun came up. 

Cook woke up before I did, because when I finally opened my eyes, he was looking at me.

"Good morning, princess," he greeted me as if nothing had happened. I didn't respond, just sat up and got out of my sleeping bag and walked to the campfire. All our friends were awake, and making breakfast. 

Tony was sitting by the fire, toasting sausages on a stick. He handed me one, silently, as Cook emerged from the tent after me. 

"Viv, you alrite?" Cook asks.

I don't respond, I don't look at him. 

I turn to Tony, and say into his ear, "Cook cheated on me last night."

He turns to me with a look of surprise, then sadness and pity, which soon turns to anger. 

He starts to stand, clenching his fist, "I'm gonna fuck that bastard up," but I stop him.

"There's actually something you can do for me instead," I say, and whisper in his ear. 

Cook is walking towards us, looking concerned, and I instantly feel sick when I see him. I turn towards Tony, and kiss him. It's actually not a bad kiss; Tony doesn't suffer from lack of experience, but it's not the same.

A tear rolls down my cheek, and I break away from him, wiping them away.

"What the actual fuck? What the fuck?" Cook shouts, rushing towards Tony, fist raised. 

Tony doges his punch, and decks Cook, right in the face. Everyone is shocked.

Cook gets up and tries to rush Tony again, but this time Freddy and Thomas are here to hold him back.