part 17: barmy

We arrive at Katie's party late. By late, I mean 10:15, which knowing our friends, is right on time. Katie's parents are apparently away on a trip, which she tells me as she opens the door for us.

"And they left you?" I said, raising an eyebrow. 

"Yeah, well, they're trying to fix their problems, and they think going on a vacation to fuck is gonna fix things," she said, rolling her eyes.

"Shit," I said, empathizing. 

"Literally," she said. "They left me with my little brother who's a pervy little bastard, so if he grabs your ass, slap him."

"Thanks, Katie," I said as she stepped aside to let us in. 

I walk in to see people screaming to music in Katie's living room, couples making out on the sofa, and one girl who's passed out on the floor, people just stepping over her as they continue to dance and talk. 

Cook shouts to be heard over the music. 

"Beer, babes?" he shouted.

I nodded yes, and spotted Freddy and Effy on a chair, sharing a spliff. 

"Ef, Freds!" I said, coming up to them. 

"Hey, Viv," Freddy says, smiling at me.

"Nice neck," Effy says, smirking.

"What?" I asked, confused. 

She motioned towards my neck, and I looked down to see a line of purplish-red hickeys marching down my neck into my top.

I rolled my eyes, smiling. "Oh, piss off, Ef," I said, sitting down in a chair next to them. 

"Cook's work?" she asks, still making fun of me.

"No, JJ's," I said. I pointed specifically to the hickeys going down into my bra, and said, "And these are Freddy's."

Her lips twist up into a smile while Freddy chuckled, passing me the spliff.

Cook came back, carrying two beers, and passed me one. 

"Hey, get up, will you babes?" he said to me.

I stood up, and sat back down in his lap. Effy and Freddy were still watching us, laughing.

"What's so funny?" Cook asked, oblivious.

Freddy said, "Oh, nothing mate. Effy asked where Viv got those hickeys, and apparently me and J were tag teaming your girlfriend."

Cook laughed uneasily.

"That's hilarious, mate, you're a funny wanker," he said, tensely, which of course only made us laugh more. 

I shifted in Cook's lap to give him a one-armed hug, and he looked at me, in need of reassurance.

I couldn't help but laugh at his expression. He looked like a kicked puppy, mournful.

"Anyway," I laughed. "There's no way I'm Cook's girlfriend."

Freddy and Effy both opened their mouths in shock, and then laughed harder.

I giggled, watching them nearly piss themselves.

"They're so fucking stoned," I said.

Cook said into my ear, "So, you're not my girlfriend, huh?"

I leant back, the back of my head on his shoulder so I could see him.

"Nope," I said, popping the p, then smiling at him cheekily.

"No?" he said again, tilting my head so he could kiss my neck. He trailed his fingers over my throat as he did so, causing me to moan.