Thirty-Five

"How do you just lose Murphy?" Warren snapped at Doc as we started to look for the shallow bastard. "What do you mean, he was just behind you? Really?!"

I cupped my hands around my mouth and yelled, "Murphy, where are you, you son of a bitch?!" I didn't get a response so I tried something else. "Marco!" Nothing. "Marco!"

"No one is gonna Pollo you, Mija," Vasquez said.

Warren sighed. "I'm gonna be really pissed if my last words are Murphy, where are you?"

"We might as well be saying, Here we are, zombies. Come and get us," Doc added.

"Murphy better hope he's not around when I reach 9,999," 10k grumbled.

I scoffed. "He better hope my foot doesn't go up his ass once we find him."

Doc started to trace his steps moments before he lost Murphy. "Well, I think it's somewhere around here. Oh, and don't eat the bark off them skinny trees. Starts out tangy then goes south in a hurry." He looked around before pointing in a random direction. "Oh, maybe it was over here." We followed Doc to the spot but there was no Murphy. "Ummmm...maybe back at the car?"

I rolled my eyes as we went back. "If Murphy is back at that car sleeping with his mouth open, you bet your ass that I'm going to spit in it." An evil smirk came to my face as I slapped Vasquez's chest. "Or how about you piss in his mouth? He's always complaining about being dehydrated."

"That's disgusting," 10k commented but I could see the small grin on his face.

"Ry knows how to piss people off," Vasquez said. "If she's really angry, she'll get revenge on you." He gave 10k a stern look. "She's not the only one who can make little boys cry."

"Not just little boys, I can make grown ass men beg on their knees," I defended myself. The car was coming to our view and Doc sprinted toward it. "And that's before I shove my rifle up their ass and rip out their intestines."

10k's eyes widened. "Don't piss you off. I get it."

Doc groaned. "Oh, damn. I was hoping we'd find him here napping."

"That slippery bastard's gonna spend the rest of his days in shackles if I have anything to say about it," Vasquez said. "And I do."

"Might as well tie an anchor to him so he can slow down and not run away," I added. I sighed as I leaned against the car. "If it wasn't for the fact that we need Murphy alive then I would have suggested leaving his ass." The group was giving me a look. "Hey, I said suggested."

Warren sighed. "Ok, if Murphy is on foot then he can't be that far. We can check the next town over, maybe they've seen him."

"Well, I know for one thing," I started as I sat inside the car before getting comfortable in the front seat. "I'm not going."

"One Shot -"

I shrugged my shoulders. "Someone's gotta make sure no one comes and takes the car."

"You just don't want to look for Murphy, huh?" Addy asked as she raised her brow.

I gave my most innocent smile. "Well, what if Murphy comes back while you guys are away? If no one's here he might think we left him."

"No," Vasquez objected. "I'm not leaving you alone where a bunch of Zs can come and ambush you."

I pointed to the dagger end of my rifle. "I still got this. Worst comes to worst, I'd climb a tree and start stabbing brains out."

"Mija -"

"Vasquez."

Warren held her hand up. "Fine, you can stay," she said. I grinned at Vasquez in victory. "But I'm not gonna leave you alone." She looked at 10k. "Stay with her, in case she needs backup."

"You sure?" 10k asked.

"Yeah, and if anything happens, I want you two to run and come find us, ok? If we're not back tomorrow, just assume the worst and move on."

"Gotcha," I said as I gave her a little mock salute.

Warren motioned for everyone to follow her. Vasquez wasn't happy about it but listened anyway. Addy spun around and gave me a little wink with a teasing grin. 10k jumped in the backseat with me once everyone left.

"You know, I'm gonna get my ass handed to me once Vasquez and I are alone, you know that right?" he asked.

"I'm not that one who volunteered you," I argued. "If anything he can blame Warren."

"But he's not."

I smiled. "Exactly."