Twenty-One

Vasquez and Addy couldn't find any medicine. 10k was getting worse, not to mention whatever he had has Addy got it too. Great, that's fan-fucking-tastic. The Amish people had to push me back when 10k started coughing up blood. 10k can't die. He can't turn Z. I don't think I could shoot him if he does turn Z.

After a while, the Amish let me near him again. Only because I offered to wipe the blood off him. I dabbed the cloth in the water before wiping the blood off the corners of his mouth. If only these people gave him enough Cipro, he wouldn't be coughing up blood. What's the point of rations if they're just going to die anyway. I went to dab the cloth in the water again, but something caught the corner of my mouth. There was another half pill just sitting on the barrel. I looked up to see the other Amish people attending their own. I grabbed the pill from my pocket and held it in front of 10k.

"Come on, 10k, open up," I whispered while holding the pill up.

10k slowly opened his mouth and I popped the pill inside. He swallowed the pill before reaching over and grabbing my hand. He intertwined our fingers together and gave my hand a squeeze. I guess it was his way of saying thank you.

"You're not dying today. You hear me?" 10k nodded. "I - I can't lose you, 10k. I just can't."

》》》》

It's been almost a half an hour, the pill didn't do much, but it looks like 10k wasn't in that much pain. The Amish people in the barn turned their heads when we heard a cocking noise. I looked too, to find Vasquez and Warren with their guns pointed towards them. What's going on?

"Bruda. Sestre," the leader spoke as he raised his hands. "I thought you might come. It is the medicine you want?"

"It's just," Warren started before clearing her throat. She realized how bad this looks and raised her hands to show she means no harm. "We got to keep going. Our team, we got to get to California. And our man, Murphy, he's immune. There's a lab. To make a vaccine. Medicine. Medicine that will help a lot of people. Save a lot of people." She looked at me. "One Shot, get the pills."

I nodded before getting up and grabbing the small bottle of pills. Shaking each bottle to see how much is left in each.

"We believe that peace is will of God," The leader began. Vasquez slowly made his way towards 10k. I looked back to see some of the Amish people starting to pray. "We follow the way of peace, justice, unity. We practice not to resist. Even through violence. Even through war. Our suffering comes from resisting what is. God has called us to seek justice and to make peace. To love our enemies." Vasquez hauled 10k over his shoulder and motioned me to follow him after I pocket a bottle with enough pills for 10k and Addy. "And to never seek revenge."

They kept praying. I followed Vasquez out as Warren turned around to the group, who we pretty much signed their death warren to. "I am sorry. Forgive me," I heard Warren said.

"Am I the only one feeling guilty about this," I broke the silence as we went outside.

Vasquez nodded. "I'd fell a whole lot better if they at least tried to kill us."

Warren slowly shook her head. "Only in a messed up apocalypse was that the right thing to do."

We went towards the barn and I was greeted with Serena screaming. Vasquez laid 10k next to Addy as I grabbed the bottle from my pocket. Even though she was still out of it, Addy grabbed the bottle from me. I stood up and went over to see Serena taking deep breathes before screaming. I immediately wanted to cover my eyes when I was greeted with her -

"I see something!" Murphy shouted. Serena kept screaming as I something coming our of her. And that is when I decided to never have a kid. That looks really painful.

"That is not a head," Doc said.

I furrowed my brows. "Is that a hand?"

"Yeah, but sometimes that happens, right?" Murphy panicked. "Sometimes they used their hands first, right?"

I gave him a look. "Did you fail sex ed or something?" Serena kept screaming as I see another hand pulling something that should never be pulled. "Oh, god, it's pulling itself out!"

"Here she comes!" Serena screamed as she pushed one more time. My eyes widen when the hands moved the folds before a head popped out of Serena's vagina. The baby started crying the minute she got out.

Oh, god. I think I'm going to pass out.

The only good thing about this is that Murphy can't deny being the father. Does she have the same eyes as him? The same nose? How about the fact that this kid is blue!

I grabbed one of the clothes from the side and handed it to Serena. She thanked me before she started to clean the baby. The baby had a small smile on her face as Serena cleaned her up.

"Congratulations, Daddy," Serena smiled at Murphy.

Murphy looked...happy. "You did good, Mommy."

"Well, what is it?" Doc asked.

"It's a girl."

"Oh, of course."

I smiled at the kid. "For once, Murphy being here did something good." Then I noticed the cleaver in Doc's pocket. I furrowed my brows before reaching back and pulling it out. I dangled it in front of him with my brow raised. "Really, Doc?"

"What? Someone's got to cut the umbilical cord." Then the baby did something I never thought a baby would do, she reached down and grabbed her own umbilical cord before tearing it. "Whoa! I guess she's got that covered."

The baby let out something that resembles a belch mixed with a small growl. Murphy and Serena started to laugh as the baby giggled.

"That's my girl," Murphy laughed. Vasquez and I exchanged a look. Murphy nodded at Serena. "Can I?"

Serena nodded before handing Murphy his child. I have never seen Murphy so happy in his life. The close to happiness I've seen him was when he ate that extra twinkie. I heard growling and looked around to see a bunch of Zs surrounding us.

"Uh, Murphy," Warren called out to him, noticing the same thing.

"Isn't she cute?" Murphy asked.

The moment he said that the baby started crying. The Z's suddenly snapped out of whatever they were on and started climbing over the small gate. Doc grabbed the cleaver from my hand and threw it at one of the Z's head. I grabbed my rifle and stabbed the knife end at another Z's eye.

"Cover Addy and 10k," Warren told me and Vasquez. We nodded before making our way towards them. Vasquez shot a Z in between its eyes and kicked it away from us.

A few zombies were near Addy and 10k. I switched my rifle for my pistol before shooting the Z through its neck. Vasquez shot the other through the chest. We heard more growling as a bunch of Zs came near. One ran at me, but I used the butt of my gun to knock it on the ground before blasting its brains out. Vasquez shot from left to right and Z coming towards us. We stopped when we heard Serena screaming. The Zs attention towards her.

"Get away from my baby you damn dirty zombies!" She screamed before she grabbed one of the Zs and threw him on the ground. "Go. Go!"

The Zs started attacking us again. "Come on, let's go! Come on!" Warren ordered. "Everybody to the truck!"

Vasquez hauled 10k over his shoulders while I draped Addy's arm around my shoulders. We dragged them towards the truck and practically tossed them to the back. Vasquez went towards the driver's side while I went to the front seat. We waited for the team to show up. Once they did, they slammed the door, but I noticed someone missing.

I looked back. "Where's Serena?"

The truck got silent. Murphy looked like he was in pain and didn't remove his gaze from his kid. Warren looked at the group before looking at me.

"She didn't make it."