Thirty-One

I'm really glad the drive wasn't that long. It wasn't even an hour that I've been stuck with Things 1 and 2. I just wish we could find Warren and them or else I'm about to shoot their brains out. Even though the drive wasn't that long, they kept talking nonstop. I pretended to be asleep so no one could bother me but it didn't help when I could hear them talk about lifting my shirt up for another view. I almost smirked when 10k threatened to cut their hands off if they do.

Now, I have no idea where we are. Sketchy decided to stop at his base camp or something like that. I'm just assuming it's his camp because the one guy coming out to greet them with a happy look on his face. Probably the only one that's happy to see them.

"Well, we thought you mighta run into some trouble," he said.

"Just the usual," Sketchy responded.

"Usually you're right on time. But, uh,  no matter." The scrawny guy motioned for someone to get in the truck and back up into this cage they were pulling up. "Uh. Swenson, get these old boys a drink."

I gave 10k a confused look. "Swenson?" I questioned. He answered with a simple shrug.

The man noticed mine and 10k's presence. "I don't think we've met. It's usually the other two."

Sketchy scoffed. "Those two clowns, former employees. It's the price you pay for delegating responsibility." Or they're dead in a ditch somewhere because of these two idiots. "But that's not your problem."

"Oh, yeah, it's hard to find good help." The man looked at me. His eyes started to scan my body. "Especially one as pretty as you."

I glared at him. "And it's hard not to bash someone's face in when they look at me like that."

The man didn't like my response. Skeezy moved in front of me to block the man from my view. "We apologize on their behalf," he said. He motioned towards me. "And I apologize for the little lady. She's got that disease that's got her mind all wired up." Wired up?

"That is not necessary," the man said. He looked at the truck. "So, how'd we do?"

"Been better, been worse," Sketchy answered.

The guy laughed. "Ain't that the truth." He pointed at me and 10k. "You get a drink, kids?"

The man offered us a cup but Sketchy pushed him back. "Ah, no, no, no, no, no. The boy's a mute. Fell on his head as a baby."

I placed my hand on my hips while I gave Sketchy a look. "Maybe you were dropped on your head, you annoying mother -"

Sketchy placed his hand over my mouth. "There she goes again. The boy is a sensitive topic for her. Young damaged love and all."

"Get your fucking hand off my mouth," I sneered. It was muffled so it came out Gt yur fckin hnd off m muth.

Sketchy let out a nervous chuckle. "So how about we get them something stiff."

The man nodded. "All right. We can get them something strong. Ok, hey! Two more for the mute and the girl."

One of the guys pulled something from the back of the truck. We heard growling and saw a bunch of Zs in the back. They were using the platform to make a barrier as the Zs ran from the truck to the cage. I decided to bring my foot up and use the heel to stomp on Sketchy's before elbowing him in the gut. He let out a small grunt as I moved away from him, making the man laugh.

"Pretty good my ass!" the man shouted as he paid attention to the zombies in the cage. "Well look, you done outdone yourselves!"

"Apparently, we have," Sketchy groaned.