Thirty-Four

For once luck is on our side. It's been a few days after I got stuck with Skeezy and Pervy. I've never been so happy to be back with Warren and the rest of the gang. We manage to find an abandoned car and after Vasquez and I inspected the engine we concluded that the car can still run. That's the best part, the only thing that sucks is that we don't have that much inventory on our persona.

Doc placed his bag on the hood of the car before taking his stuff out. "Flashlight. No batteries," he began listing off. "Half a bottle of aspirin. Well, I got no ammo." He pulled out a crowbar. "Found this."

"I got two batteries and four bullets," Warren listed next.

I pulled the bullets for my guns. "I got five for my pistol and three for my rifle." Glad I still have the knife attached to it. Though, it's getting a bit dull.

Addy took some items out of her pocket. "I got two in my gun and two randoms and those," she said.

My brow raised when I saw the unwrapped gum. "You got gum?"

"For repair purposes only," Addy argued after the looks she received from the guys.

Doc wrapped his arm around her and teased her by saying, "Remember fresh breath."

Addy dug through her pocket and pulled something out before handing it to 10k. "Oh, and I found this." 10k's eyes widened. I turned my head to see an unwrapped condom in his hands and he started to turn red a bit. It got a smirk out of Addy. "You know when you and One Shot decide to finally have sex."

Vasquez quickly snatched the condom from 10k and put it in his pocket. "No one is doing anything," he said before giving me a pointed look. "No one is going to take your innocence, mija."

"Innocence?" Addy chuckled.

I rolled my eyes. "Vasquez finally decides to be scary godfather," I mumbled. I tried not to laugh when I caught 10k sneaking the condom back from Vasquez's pocket. I gave a mock pout. "Oh, well. Don't want to ruin my innocence any more than it already is." If he only knew 10k saw my boobs already.

Vasquez shook his head in annoyance but still wrapped his arm around me. He used his free hand to pull out his bullets and every other pocket the condom wasn't in. "I've got a couple of bullets. Road flares."

"I got one empty clip," 10k said.

Addy nodded before handing 10k her bullets. "You know what? See if these fit."

I don't like those odds. I know we can pull this off until we hit the next city but that doesn't mean we can't expect shit to happen before then. I still have the knife end of my rifle, Doc has his crowbar, and Addy has her bat. As long as we don't face this huge wave of Zs then we should be good.

"I know this looks shaky, but we will find a way to get Murphy to California," Warren said.

I let out a scoff. "That's if he doesn't do something stupid to keep us off track," I commented. What? It's true. Warren raised her brow at me. "I'm not wrong."

"Well, I"m hungry," Doc piped up. Oh, god. If my dad was here he would give off one of those Dad jokes. Hi, Hungry. I'm Dad. He walked over to Murphy, who's sleeping in the car. "Hey, Sleeping Beauty."

Vasquez sighed before he grabbed the long tree branch. "Let's see how much gas this car has."

I nodded as he walked around. When I knew he wasn't paying attention, a sly smirk came to my face as I stood next to 10k. "Didn't know you could be so sneaky," I said.

A small grin was plastered on his face as he pulled the condom out. "Better if we have protection."

I grabbed it from him. "Good to know you thought about this."

He shrugged. "I have for a while."

I couldn't help the scoff that came out. "Oh, please. You probably thought of it once you saw my girls."

"You did say I could see them again."

"I did. Just not now." A teasing grin came to my face. "So in the meantime." I put the condom back in his front pocket while my other hand palmed his friend. "Why don't you keep this safe for us?"

"That's not really fair," he breathed out.

I shrugged once I pulled my hand away. I walked over to Addy, who was looking over the map. I saw the grin on her face. "What?"

"I saw that," she replied. "Pretty risky doing it near Vasquez."

"Oh, he'll never notice." I motioned to him checking the gas with the branch. "He's kinda preoccupied."

"Until he notices a missing condom from his pocket." 10k stood next to me. "So I'd be careful before Vasquez castrates 10k."

"He won't do that, will he?" 10k asked me.

I grinned as I wrapped my arm around his waist. "Not when there are witnesses." I kissed his cheek as he started to inspect the map but I could see the little panic in his eyes. "So you're fine." Warren honked the car horn. I looked at Vasquez. "How's the gas?"

"Two gallons, maybe three," he answered.

"If we get ten miles a gallon..." Warren trailed off.

"It'll get us halfway to Plainview," 10k finished.

Vasquez gave me a pointed look. "Ry?" He motioned my arm around 10k. I rolled my eyes before pulling away. "Thank you."

Warren shook her head at him as Doc caught up with us. Without Murphy. "Hey, where's Murphy?"

Doc pointed behind. "He's right behind me." He finally turned around and noticed Murphy wasn't behind him. "Damnit, Murphy!"

I sighed. "How did I know something like this is going to happen?"