𝟬𝟬𝟯 never the one

PROM QUEEN: NEVER THE ONE

PROM QUEEN:
NEVER THE ONE.

     THE FIRST SATURDAY of every month was always a chaotic day in the Monroe household

     THE FIRST SATURDAY of every month was always a chaotic day in the Monroe household. In the early mornings, the sound of glasses clinking and pans clashing with one another always managed to wake Annabelle up from her deep slumber. Mid-day, the aroma of freshly cooked dishes would fill the thick air of the home, never failing to make the raven-haired girl's stomach grumble due to the lack of the food she'd consume in order to make enough room in her stomach for the delicious meals. And by the time night fell, particular families who resided on Figure Eight would all be gathered around in the backyard of the large home, having small talk while devouring the freshly made food, an alcoholic beverage to go along with it.

Dinner parties had never really interested Annabelle, though. In fact, she hated them with this burning passion for several reasons. Don't get her wrong, the food was great and all, but being surrounded by the same people who had torn her self-image down when she was just an innocent toddler, resulted in her despising these unnecessary events. In her eyes, these gatherings were a simple excuse for the adults to get somewhat tipsy, hoping to forget how truly pathetic their lives actually were.

It was the reality that came with the prestigious lifestyle that the less fortunate on the island so badly wanted to obtain. Being at the top of a social class required them to put on a facade; one so perfectly constructed with every minuscule detail about the actuality of their lives hidden away from the public so that no one would ever think about the secrets that lured inside the walls of the broken homes that were lined up near the edge of the crystal-clear water in Kildare Island.

Secret love children, mistresses, pending divorces that were never actually taken to court which only ended up inflicting unnecessary pain upon the children who were forced to remain barricaded in a toxic environment with the constant arguing that went on behind closed doors—basically, pretty much anything else one could think of was what destroyed the wealthy families who never failed to flaunt the infinite money that the world had graciously offered them.