𝟱 - 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗮𝗯𝘆𝘀𝘀 𝗮𝘄𝗮𝗸𝗲𝗻𝗲𝗱

Fanny's POV.

Playing in the rain was a lot of fun for her. Uniting herself with the beauty of nature was the best feeling ever, but too bad her brother noticed it too soon, or else she wouldn't have to clean up so quickly. She wished it would last longer. She had just finished showering when she heard a huge knock on her window.

"What on... earth?" she mumbled, half whispered as she opened up her window, surprised to find out a white bird—no, a swan—crashed on its way to deliver a... letter? What was she seeing? She sat by the windowsill, still extremely confused. She held the swan and carefully petted the little creature to show love and kindness. She had always been an animal lover, especially when it comes to any type of birds. This swan was fortunate enough to have landed on her window.

"Shh, easy there," Fanny said gently, still petting its small, precious head. "Hard landing, huh? You should be more careful next time."

The swan looked at her, curving its long, elegant neck as it gave Fanny a small flap of its wings. She smiled, admiring every inch of its majestic white feathers, and how she wished to have a pair of beautiful wings just like it.

She took the letter out of its beak. "Didn't know you swans can deliver letters, too," she said, giving a small giggle. "I thought only pigeons do."

As she opened the envelope, she realized why a swan would deliver a letter. It said:

The abyss strikes again. I do not think we have much time left. They've ruined my castle and killed my men. All I am asking is your help, Your Highness, and I will sincerely be your ally if that's what it takes.

Princess Odette

Fanny knew of the swan castle, of Princess Odette, but she heard no news of her castle being destroyed by the abyss. A beautiful castle, she remembered her brother told her, with a great amount of swans dancing in the lake. Azure lake was, perhaps, the most alluring place her brother ever spoke of, and now it fell into ruination. Her heart began to race, fearful of whatever was coming. She lowered her head and closed her eyes, inhaled some air to calm her down.

"Thank you," she said to the swan. "I'll show this to Silvanna. Tell Princess Odette we will help as much as we can. Fly home safely, little one!"

***

As Fanny hurriedly ran downstairs, she saw her friends were having breakfast, all sitting together in the dining room, but there was no sign of the princess or even her brother. That's weird, she thought. The princess should be with them every breakfast, lunch, and dinner. This time, they were nowhere to be found. Their seats were empty, and their plates were completely clean.

"Guys," Fanny called. "Has the princess eaten yet?" They were busy eating, but their faces showed no joy.

"She hasn't," Alucard said. "None of us know what she's doing."

"Where's my brother?"

"He joined her."

"What have you got there, Fanny?" Harith joined in, looking at what her right hand was holding. She hesitated at first, but decided to tell them. They were her friends, after all.

"I got this letter from the swan castle," Fanny started. "The princess said she needed help, I was just about to give this to the princess."

"Princess Odette?" Alucard made sure.

"You know her?"

"Why, of course I do," he said. "But... why would the azure lake be in danger?"

Fanny closed her eyes and looked down. She gulped, afraid of speaking what she had to tell. Her hands began to shake.

"It's the abyss."