𝟭𝟮 - 𝗮𝗻 𝘂𝗻𝗳𝗼𝗿𝘁𝘂𝗻𝗮𝘁𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝘄𝘀

Guinevere's POV.

Professor Gord's office was located in the highest Magic Academy's tower. Guinevere was barely keeping up with his speed, feeling tired of all the stairs she had to go through. But panting hardly next to him would only cause his anger to rise. Staying very quiet was her only choice.

After countless of stairs, they finally arrived. Various colored orbs were floating in each shelf, magic wands of different sizes were properly placed on the table, and the ceiling was bewitched to look like stars and galaxies from above. Even though it had been years, it was her first time visiting his office.

Guinevere admired it, observing every corner that beheld a beautiful magical object.

As fascinating as they may seem, she would never use magic wands to conjure magic. She thought it was lame and exceptionally witchy, but that wasn't the main reason why. Her school rival Lylia, who was in second rank, was obsessed with wands.

Orbs, however, were always her favorite. In fact, the blue energy orb was one of her main magical skills. Almost all students here used the orbs for a lot of interesting objectives to enhance their creativity, since they were the most versatile properties of magic.

She got lost for a while, then remembered her ongoing class with Professor Eudora that needed to be paused. Skipping classes was never on her to-do list. She needed to get on with what Professor Gord wanted, fast.

"Excuse me for asking, sir," she said. "But what exactly do you need? You can say it now and I can assist you during recess or even right after class if it's so important, or maybe—"

"Silence!" he bellowed, and Guinevere zipped her mouth to stop her nonsense talk.

"Apologies, sir," she murmured, looking down.

Gord took what seemed to be a letter from his large desk, handing it roughly to her.

"A letter from your father," he said.

She opened the envelope with the Baroque family stamp—an image of a lion—sealing it together. She unfolded the letter, knowing clearly it was her father's handwriting.

Dear Guinevere,

I hope you are having a wonderful time at the Academy. It's been years since your mother and I last saw you, and as you study, changes have occurred here in Castle Gorge. I need you to come home. Your best day is just around the corner, sweetheart. Have a safe route.

Love,

Father

"No, no..." she whispered.

She was puzzled. What was her father's purpose of sending her home? It wasn't Christmas yet, which was the only time of year students were allowed to return to their homelands. Even then, Guinevere often stayed for Christmas in the Academy to fulfill her grades for the final examinations.

What if they were in trouble? She was also worried for her family's condition at the same time. She loved them more than anything, but getting unexpected letters from her father in the middle of a school year was very unlikely.

"He says I have to... go home..." she said hesitantly.

"Assumed so," Gord said. "I'll report to Professor Eudora about this. Now, go to your dormitory and prepare your belongings. You must be ready for your journey home tomorrow morning."

"But, don't I deserve some homework? I mean, I'm not so sure when I'll be back. I will definitely miss a lot of lessons. At least give me essays, or exercises, or... just anything! Please!"