𝟭𝟱 - 𝗮 𝗻𝗲𝘄 𝗵𝗼𝗺𝗲

Guinevere's POV.

Guinevere had two problems; House Paxley and her parents. The morning sun warmed her bed, but she was not prepared. Today was the day her family and her would make a visit to the Paxleys, no matter how many times she refused and said she would rather stay home. What would the Paxleys say about her? Expecting the worst was better, but it didn't make her feel good in the slightest. Why do I have to marry? That particular question had been stuck in her head for days, but her parents never cared about her happiness.

She was still glued on her loving bed and every second passed felt like hell. It's been a while since she left the Magic Academy. If tossing pennies in the fountain could truly grant wishes, she would probably be back now. She would do anything to be there; learning about magic with her professors, play tricks with Harley, or even compete with the stupendous Lylia. She just wanted to be free. Home didn't feel like home, just a regular castle belonged to royals.

A loud knock came on the door which she assumed to be her father.

"Guinevere, are you ready?" her father asked behind the door. "The carriage has arrived!"

But Guinevere did not reply. Here we go again.

"Gwen?" he called louder, banging on the door.

"Coming father..." she answered quietly she doubted her father would hear.

"Open the door please, Gwen," he said.

"I'll be ready any second."

"Well—alright dear, make sure to dress perfectly! Make yourself presentable in front of your new family!"

For the Lord's sake, can he stop saying that? She couldn't care less about how she dressed. Even though she loved pretty things, this was the only time she would want to appear terribly. Wearing an awful gown and leaving her hair tangled would be the best choice. If the Paxleys didn't want her, then she wouldn't have to marry.

Her spirit lifted up a bit. She thought it was a fantastic idea, but that would just bring disgrace to her entire family, and she didn't want that. Her mother was kind. Her father wasn't as much, but he was still her father and she loved him. Her spirit was sad once again.

Guinevere sighed. I can't be selfish, she reminded herself, even though she could be selfish at times, but not today. Not during a serious event. She decided to put on her light blue gown with white bubble sleeves, along with knee-high socks and a matching pair of shoes, exactly the same shade of her gown. She brushed her hair and tied it in half up half down then topped it off with a fancy black ribbon, decorated with red linings.

"Gwen?" Her father was still behind the door. She groaned.

"Coming, coming!" she said as she took her bag and went out of her bedroom, presenting herself to her father.

"My sweet Guinevere, you look astonishing!" he said loudly, though he did not seem to mean it.

"Thanks," she said shortly, not smiling at all.

But her father held her shoulders, looking her straight in the eyes. The wicked side of him seemed to have awoken. He did not look impressed for his daughter at all.

"Make him happy, will you?" he said, his tone serious.

It was an answer Guinevere least expected, but she was not surprised. She went speechless, nodded at his command like a broken doll.