Chapter 19 - About A Girl

Stark tower holds a secret. 

Despite the 93 stories of glass windows and luxury interior design - the most beautiful part of the building isn't above ground. It's underneath. 

Below Stark tower, Tony had built an oasis. Only accessible to the Avengers (and you), Floor G1 isn't even a button in the elevators. The tens of thousands of employees and government agents that work in, and visit, Stark tower have no idea it even exists. 

You hadn't either. Until yesterday. When Loki locked you out of his room, you asked JARVIS to take you to the quietest floor. Somewhere you could think.  

The door opened to a jungle. 

Towering bamboo trees and neatly lined dirt paths illuminated by tiny foot lanterns led you through an intricately planted and cultivated maze of flowering bushes and tall willow reeds. The air was cool and crisp. and in the middle of the forest was a rushing stream that emptied into a clear blue pond surrounded by tall, flat rocks perfect for sitting - despite their treacherous angle. One wrong move and anyone sitting on top would fall face-first into the water below. 

Amazed, you had returned to your quarters to sleep. But this morning, you found yourself right back on the same rock you had sat on the night before. 

Running your fingers along the jagged edge of the rock, you look down over the edge toward the rushing stream, following it with your eyes to the place where it flows into the pond. You're grateful you found this place. You've needed time to think. Time to try and understand not only what he's feeling, but what you're feeling. Loki is a murderer. A god of lies. A tyrant hell-bent on hanging onto power. But he's also passionate. Smart. And for some reason, he just fits.

"JARVIS?" you call out. 

"Yes, Miss?" he answers, his voice echoing around the underground forest, floating toward you from speakers hidden somewhere among the rocks or the outrageously high ceiling. 

"What time is it?"  You ask. 

"It is currently 11:56PM Eastern Standard Time."

"Hmm," you frown, surprised that you've managed to pass the entire day on the underground floor. "What's Loki doing?"

"Apologies, Miss, but my visual and auditory monitoring capabilities are not currently active in the Secured Quarters."

"Ugh," you sigh, exasperated. "Fine, whatever."

Grabbing a tiny piece of chipped rock you toss it over the edge into the pond below, wondering if you should go back upstairs to Loki's room and try again to get him to talk. After his sudden withdrawal, you had tried to get him to open his door and explain himself. But true to his nature, the stubborn god refused to even speak back. 

What could he have seen in your memories that caused him to shut you out?

Maybe it wasn't my memories, you ponder. Maybe he just...feels bad for not believing me?

No, it was more than that. Something he had seen in your memories had caused him to withdraw. Something that he had seen had disturbed him so much that despite the display of trust you had shown him, he still pulled away. Why? Was he still trying to protect you? From what?

"It's nice to see you out of your room."

An unexpected voice at your back scares you. You gasp and whirl around in surprise, but your foot slides against the wet rock and topples you off balance as you slip, too close to the edge.

"Woah, hey now, easy," Steve reaches out and grabs you, pulling you back to safety.

"Geez, Steve," you frown. "Scare a girl, will ya?"