Thirty Seven

Thirty Seven

A gasp escaped his lips. His hands began to tremble. His eyes began to tear up. As his breath came to a sudden stop, his heart started to ache tremendously.

What's happening? What's happening? What's fucking happening? the male asked himself, holding the bridge of his nose between his fingers. He was both hurt, and pissed.

"Oh my god!" a shriek escaped from his brunette friend's lips. "Call an ambulance!"
"Fuck!" his sunshine blonde friend cursed out of frustration. "Shit. Shit. Shit."
"Someone, call a freaking ambulance!"

The two pushed past their flustered friend and rushed to reach the girl that was lying in a small pile of her very own crimson blood. The police officers, including the Chief himself followed behind.

"Where's that Orochimaru?" Chief Uchiha questioned. "Go find him, no matter what."

The four police officers that had assisted the chief nodded in understanding, and scurried out the room.

"Shisui? You okay?" the Chief asked, noticing the flustered male just standing there. "You're pale."

The Chief waited for a response, but got none.

"Look, she's breathing," Chief Uchiha continued, trying to cheer up the young Uchiha. "And the ambulance is going to be here in under five minutes. Plus, we've gathered enough proof to send Orochimaru to jail for life, so don't look so discouraged."
"She's alive?" Shisui finally asked, his voice drier than an African desert.
"Yes, I'm sure she'll make it," the elder Uchiha informed. "We have Kimimaro to thank for leading us to this basement area. And your teacher, Mr. Hatake for having noticed that [Name] was leaving school early. Or we might've found her too late."

Shisui nodded in agreement, until his gaze landed on the unconscious girl. Her hair was messy and she had tear stains down her face, yet she looked so stunning. Do I love her because she looks so beautiful? Or does she look so beautiful because I love her? But his troubled thoughts were soon interrupted when the four police officers came in huffing and puffing.

"Sir!" one of them spoke up. "Orochimaru's body..."
"What is it?" the Chief asked, impatiently.
"It seems that he committed suicide by shooting himself in the head."
"Yes sir, we found his body in the East building, in his bedroom."

A sense of sudden rage took over Shisui Uchiha's body, as he clenched his jaw to refrain himself from yelling.

"Don't touch anything, TenTen, Naruto, or you Shisui. Just wait for the paramedics." The Chief then sent Shisui an apologetic look, before following his men out the basement and towards Orochimaru's bedroom.

* * *

"Well?!" Naruto asked, eagerly. "Spill it, Dr. Chang!"

Although the blond—including Shisui and [Name]'s father—had been stuck in the waiting room for over twelve hours, their concern had kept them alert and awake.

"She's unconscious at the moment," the Doctor explained. "Because her trachea- which is her wind pipe- was severely damaged by some sharp object, we had to replace it with an artificial air tube so she wouldn't have too much trouble breathing."
"Great, so she's okay then!" Naruto beamed, enthusiastically. "Can we go see her?"

The messy haired Uchiha felt his heart skip a beat in excitement. She's okay. She's okay! Of course, Orochimaru not being punished for his terrible deeds was constantly bothering him, but this was simply much bigger than that. [Name] was okay. [Name] was alive.

"Not yet but... that's the thing unfortunately..." the Doctor mumbled, guiltily. "Replacing the airway wall isn't permanent. You can keep replacing it with an artificial tube, but she'll have a lot of health issues if she can't breathe properly, which will eventually catch up to her."
"What do you mean?" Naruto asked, confused.
"She won't live long," the Doctor stated. "I'm very sorry. I'm very sorry Mr. [Your Surname]. Please note that we tried our absolute best."
"I know," the heartbroken father replied. "What a life, huh? Having only a year to live, yet living enough to see your daughter go first."

Shisui fell back on the uncomfortable hospital chair, lifelessly. He let out a disappointed sigh as he brushed his fingers through his dark, unkempt hair. He then proceeded to place his hands inside his jacket's pocket. But a hand landed on his shoulder, which belonged to Naruto. It seemed that the blonde had done the same to the girl's father.

"Don't worry Shisui, or you Old Man!" he encouraged. "Bad things don't happen to good people, and [Name] is the goodest of them all. Believe it!"

The Old Man chuckled.

The young Uchiha smiled.

Thank you Naruto, for giving me the courage. He then continued fiddling nervously with the hard ring in his pocket.

Maybe today. Maybe I'll do it today.