Thirty Three

Thirty-Three

It was Monday, the day dreaded by everyone and their mothers. While Y/N was busy recovering in the hospital located on the outskirts of Konoha, the other two groups of Naruto and Pein were in school, trying to get some education. They were tired maybe but they were trying, nonetheless.

"And we aren't sure of the accidents that might happen in college," Mr. Mori continued on with the objective of today's lesson. "So consider this as a way to prepare for it, just in case any of you fall victim to un-planned pregnancy."
"What do we do again?" Choji called out, confused.
"You are assigned a partner," Mr. Mori began to explain. "And you are to take care of a robotic baby with them for three weeks, hence the name: The Parenting Project. It will be 25% of your grade for this semester."

I thought this was just a college preparedness class, Shikamaru thought, silently. But it's a drag.

"If there are no further questions, Ms. Tsunade will begin calling out the names of you and your assigned partner. Please listen carefully," Mr. Mori announced.

After about thirty minutes of just name-calling, all of Naruto's group had been assigned to a partner- well all except Sasuke.

The groups were: Hinata and Kiba, Ino and Sai, Sakura and Naruto- which Sakura wasn't too happy about- TenTen and Lee, Temari and Shikamaru. The rest of them had been paired up with other, random people of the opposite gender. Finally, it was Sasuke's turn...

"[Y/N] [Last name] and Sasuke Uchiha."

Sasuke's bored gaze grew slightly more attentive at the sound of his name paired up with Y/N's.

Hn, the raven-haired male thought to himself, with a smirk. A perfect fit.

"Ms. Tsunade!" Naruto called out, obnoxiously. "Sasuke will need a new partner, Y/N is at the hospital."
"Actually, her father has informed me otherwise Naruto," Ms. Tsunade replied. "You need not worry, she'll be back in no time."
"Oh," the blonde replied, dumbfounded.

Her father?

* * *

"I'm very grateful that Kimimaro was brave enough to inform me of that Orochimaru's horrendous plan," your father began to say. "I'm indebted to you, son."
"No sir," the white-haired male stated. "It was my duty to keep her safe."
"Well, you wouldn't have been indebted to him if you hadn't promised Orochimaru my hand in marriage," you spat, furiously. "None of this would've happened if it wasn't for your empty promises."

Your old man didn't wear a surprised expression. Instead, it seemed as though he had expected you to say something like that.

"Kimimaro, may I have a moment alone with my little girl?" the old man requested, politely.
"Of course," the white-haired male replied, politely. "I have to go check on Genma anyways."

Oh yes, you had to check on Genma soon, you reminded yourself. Once you heard the door shut, your father began to clear his raspy throat.

"I am sorry," your old man said, shameful. "I'm sorry I failed to see beyond just a future for you. I never realized how flawed my way of thinking was... I just wanted to secure your safety for the years to come. I didn't know... I didn't know I was sending you right into the arms of such a monster."

And then, he did something completely unexpected.. he cried. You had never before witnessed your father breakdown, so this was fairly new to you.

"Dad?" you finally spoke up, taken aback. "Just.. why? Why did you do all this in the first place? Why are you so fixated on securing my future? Do you think that I'm unable to look after myself? I have goals and aspirations, dreams to create a good world. A good, loving world."
"I know sweetie," your father said, wiping away his tears with his wrinkled fingers. "You are just like your mother: a strong woman."
"I know that you worry for me because that's what parents do," you said, feeling slightly guilty for yelling at him. "And I know you worry that you haven't done enough for me, but you have. You don't need to do anymore, please. You've given me a home, food, shelter, education, respect, freedom. And most importantly, you've given me unconditional love, of both a mother and a father."

There was a long pause before he spoke again.

"I'm dying," the old man choked. "I have about one good year to live.. and during that time, I just wanted to see my only daughter married to a good man who could treat her like royalty. Who could give you a home where you could live comfortably. And in the rush of finding a man with money, it seems that I forgot about finding a man with a good heart to match that of yours."
"What?" you asked, shocked at the sudden news. "What do you mean? That can't be true."
"Cancer is cruel, my little girl."

No.

He's lying.

He's just lying.

There was no way God- if God even existed- would take away both your parents. Your only family. That was simply too cruel, and you truly believed that said God could bear no such malice towards you. It simply made no sense because you were a good person.

You were a good person with hopeful eyes, and a burning passion to help people. You never could solve difficult math problems, and sure you didn't know a thing about weed jolly ranchers. But you always helped people, with all that you could offer. You may have lost your mother too young, but you had never lost your faith.

But you were soon about to.